You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing layered files

Greetings, all. I'm loving Affinity Designer on my iPad. I don't have any experience with Illustrator, but have watched tutorials and thought about looking at it more seriously. Then AD came out and I pounced right away. I'm relatively new to working in vectors outside of some basic stuff with the pen tool in Photoshop, and the whole artboards thing is very new to me.

SO! On to my actual question: is there a way to import a layered file into a pre-existing artboard? I have created an artboard to muck around with some business card ideas to promote myself as an artist. I can import an image just fine. Basically, I want to use the logo I created for my website for one side of the card, but I want to have access to the layers to move certain elements around or make adjustments for clarity as it is in a reduced size. I've already been able to download the layered file from the cloud and open it as it's own document in AD just fine. I'm just wondering if there's a means for me to add it in it's layered format onto my business card artboard.

Thanks for any forthcoming enlightenment or revelations that what I'm trying to do can't be done!

Toby

So, I did come up with a solution, if anyone had a similar problem. I opened the layered file as it's own document, copied it, then returned to my artboard document and pasted it onto an artboard. I started having some glitchy, freezing issues, but I assume that's because I have a tendency to go crazy with layers and effects and file sizes. Not sure if there's an easier way to accomplish this, but this appears to work.

Toby