You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Add Indonesian Language Dictionary to Affinity Designer (MAC)?

If you open Preferences, and choose Tools, I think you should see at the bottom a line that gives you the location for additional dictionaries. Open that folder, and within it create a new folder named id_ID and then open that id_ID folder.

Next, you can obtain Indonesian dictionaries that should work with Designer (which uses Hunspell), here. From  that site, download hyph_id_ID.dic, id_ID.aff, and id_ID.dic and put all 3 files into your id_ID folder.

That should be all you need. At that point, after restarting Designer, you should be able to tell it that your text is in Indonesian, and spell-check it. (Note that this will not give you an Indonesian user interface for Designer. It's only to allow you to enter text in Indonesian and spell-check it.)

(Note: I'm a Windows user, but I think these instructions should be roughly what you'd need on a Mac, too.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks walt.farrell.

I've tried to find the 'location for additional dictionaries' that you've mentioned, but I can't find it everywhere in the Preferences (I've been looking at the whole tabs). Here's the screenshot of my Tools under Preferences.

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 00.14.18.png

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1
Affinity Deisgner 1.8.6 - Affinity Photo 1.8.6 - Affinity Publisher 1.8.6

Found a post by @Dave Harris that explains that on Mac they use system functions to add spelling dictionaries. But you would use my approach to add hyphenation dictionaries. For hyphenation, he says "On Mac the user-defined ones live below ~user~/Library/Spelling - each language gets its own folder with a name like en_UK."

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi @walt.farrell 

I've tried the method on that post. I'm able to spell check using Indonesian in some application such as Chrome, textEdit. But, still unable to do spell checking on Affinity Designer.

I did these following steps:

1. Downloaded the dictionary (tried both OpenOffice and LibreOffice repository).
  2. Copied the file to spelling folder on mac.
  3. Change the Spelling on System Preferences, Keyboard, Text to Indonesia (Library).
  4. I tried to put the .aff and .dic files in the spelling folder or in a folder named id and id_ID.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1
Affinity Deisgner 1.8.6 - Affinity Photo 1.8.6 - Affinity Publisher 1.8.6

Did you tell Affinity Designer that your text was in Indonesian?

View > Studio > Character and then select Indonesian in the Language settings at the bottom of the Character panel. (If you've already typed the text, select all of it and then change the language setting.)

-- Walt
PC:

I'm happy it worked. Have fun :)

-- Walt
PC: