You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Word count - please, please don't tell me there isn't one

• 1 month later...

Well, he didn't want anyone to say "no" which rather limits the possibility of responses :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Well, he didn't want anyone to say "no" which rather limits the possibility of responses :)

We could lie.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

No, there is no word/character count in Publisher and it is not necessary. I am using Atlantis Wordprocessor and there is a very nice word/character count feature. You can even set a target to write. When you finish your text, you can copy and paste it in Publisher. When the import function is ready, you can import your text file.

Personally I would recommend using a plain text editor - Notepad++ has a basic word count feature, and WriteMonkey has an automatic one - rather than a word processor as there's no temptation to add formatting to the text (which can lead to some awkward problems along the road). This isn't ideal for everyone but neither is formatting getting lost via an import function that doesn't work the way you expect it to. Best to stick with plain old TXT at the moment I think.

So, the truth of it is that none of the development team (or its fans) understand that a DTP programme is not just another "graphics package" in which the text might all as well be Lorem ipsit dixit. Or that the parent company's most successful programme bar none, PagePlus, had a pretty sophisticated built-in wordprocessor WHICH WAS USED!

I imagine somebody envisages lots of cool young feelance designers working with words that somebody else has laboured over, so somebody else will be responsible for musprunts. This, of course, means that the branch secretaries, vicars and small businesspersons who have to do the whole job themselves, including writing the copy, will despair of Affinity Publisher and abandon it.

I just checked the latest "Help" file for "Edit text" And it says, I quote "??????."

Sweet dreams

1 minute ago, Paul Martin said:

I just checked the latest "Help" file for "Edit text" And it says, I quote "??????."

The Help files for Publisher have not been completed, and are not ready for review, and the Serif team is well aware of that (and have said so on multiple occasions).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, fde101 said:

so wasting a lot of time on help files that will be inaccurate by the time of the release probably isn't at the top of the priority list right now.

I would change "probably isn't" to "shouldn't be". Hell, 'wasting time' shouldn't be anywhere on the list of priorities.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

A word count in Publisher facilitates composition directly in Publisher. Text doesn't always originate with a word processor or text editor. It's not that unusual to have a layout with graphics and a limited amount of space for text, and there can be limits on the amount of text. A word count can tell you how close you are to the design specs.

I am seeking out software for a publisher of 8 - 10 weekly shopping guides and newspapers. We use stories between all of our papers and it would be very beneficial to have word/character count information on hand within the design phase in order to determine space needed.

I would also like to see publisher in our newsrooms in order to speed up formatting.

We have several offices using several different word processors and none of them have the potential I see in Publisher.

Thank you for any attention you can give to this.

This certainly is a lame work around but better than nothing as long as there is now word count in APub:
For those who think that there is no way to get a word count at all, you always can mark the text in question with CTRL+A, copy it to clipboard and paste it into a simple text editor that has word count.

This, of course, is not practical while entering text and aiming a certain text length. But in a situation where you are happy with the text and want to know it's length this should do.

Apart from that I am sure Serif will come up at some point with a feature like this :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil