You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to remove Personas from File menu?

Is there a way to remove the Personas option from the File menu option?

I've seen some videos on YouTube where there is no Personas option in File so I was wondering if those people are potentially just using old versions of Photo or is there some way to hide it?

The reason why I am asking is because misclicking Personas instead of New has become incredibly annoying and if possible I'd like to just remove them.

If not, wouldn't it have been much better to just put Personas in View menu?

photo.png

• Staff

Hi brezanac,
The Personas menu don't appear on the File menu on a Mac but they are present in the application's name menu. So both have them but in different places due to the way the OS works. This is useful in case you want to set/define shortcuts to quickly switch between Personas (in Preferences). There's no way to remove/hide them.

1816893421_Screenshot2018-09-10at15_36_04.png.9267121c3b3c5e1971e55db5776820db.png

I agree that the View menu would be a much more logical place for the Personae menu items.

As far as removing them goes, I really don't see the point – my assumption would be that anybody concerned with working quickly would be using the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+N/Cmd+N) anyway. Besides, by the same logic, all menu items that are not used as frequently as others would have to be removed from the menu, that's clearly not feasible. Menus are an inherently finicky part of user interfaces, especially on Windows where you can't just throw your mouse curser up to the top of the screen and know you're in the menu area like on OS X.

46 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

I'd recommend you to forget the menu.

Ctrl+N and beware a faster workflow. The menu should exist only as a reference for shortcuts. xD

For a keyboard only workflow that's fine because both hands are on the keyboard. However when one of the hands is on the mouse reaching key combos like CTRL+N can be a real challenge especially since it involves using a thumb. Also CTRL+N is not something you keep using repeatedly so I actually always preferred to just use the File -> New menu option.

Call it preference or something else but that's the more efficient and less error prone method for me. That's why it's so unusual for me to see something else in place of the first option for the File menu.

1 minute ago, brezanac said:

For a keyboard only workflow that's fine because both hands are on the keyboard. However when one of the hands is on the mouse reaching key combos like CTRL+N can be a real challenge especially since it involves using a thumb. Also CTRL+N is not something you keep using repeatedly so I actually always preferred to just use the File -> New menu option.

Call it preference or something else but that's the more efficient and less error prone method for me. That's why it's so unusual for me to see something else in place of the first option for the File menu.

I totally understand. It's just that I've always been a shortcut user. By the way, using the thumb for Ctrl+N is pretty uncomfortable. I prefer pinky (on left ctrl) and index, using a single hand. Thumb is useful if you're using the right ctrl.

Hope you find a good workaround, or that persona stops messing with you.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:14 PM, haakoo said:

But you can always assign a new short-key to "New" like shift+A 

And every time I want to type an upper case  letter A end up with a new file?

The left side of the keyboard is pretty much already reserved and even if it wasn't having to remember specific shortcuts just for one program is kind of counter productive.

17 hours ago, brezanac said:

And every time I want to type an upper case  letter A end up with a new file?

That would not happen if you were in text entry mode (anywhere the text caret/insertion point is visible). Since that is the only way to enter any text in the app, this would never be a problem.

It also means you have a lot more keyboard shortcut combinations available than you might think, since if you are not in text entry mode the shift key combinations can be assigned to other functions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hiding unused Menu entries an old feature in Photoshop. It's great for removing stuff one considers useless or in the way,  to get rid of ugly filters or functions which simply don't apply to the own field of work. There's a quick temporary reset for all menus though: Holding down Ctrl while browsing the Menu shows all default entries. Would be nice if this was also available in Affinity apps.

2018-09-12_17h39_40.jpg

22 hours ago, R C-R said:

That would not happen if you were in text entry mode (anywhere the text caret/insertion point is visible). Since that is the only way to enter any text in the app, this would never be a problem.

It also means you have a lot more keyboard shortcut combinations available than you might think, since if you are not in text entry mode the shift key combinations can be assigned to other functions.

Still, I am not looking to complicate things even further by making a mess of standard shortcuts. If Personas is not removable from File, as it obviously isn't, I'll just stick to clicking.

34 minutes ago, brezanac said:

Still, I am not looking to complicate things even further by making a mess of standard shortcuts. If Personas is not removable from File, as it obviously isn't, I'll just stick to clicking.

What about Alt+F to activate the File menu, followed by N for ‘New’? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)