You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcuts still active in File Open dialog

In the open file dialog box (File->Open), normally one can start typing the name of a file to jump straight to it. This is helpful particularly in list view when looking at a directory with many files. Currently, some of the letters activate Designer shortcuts behind the Open File dialog box rather than the standard Mac behavior. Here are some basic steps to illustrate:

1. Create a new document; click OK to accept default settings.

2. File->Open; preferably, navigate to a file with many files or directories - they do not have to be compatible documents to illustrate this.

3. Type "T" key
 - The dialog box does not jump to a file beginning with T. Instead, notice on the Publisher toolbar behind the dialog box that the Text Tool has been selected.

4. Type "V" key
 - Now the Move Tool is active

5. Type the "C" key (or some other key that does not have an assignment in Publisher: L, O, etc.)
 - Correct Mac behavior: the nearest file matching that name is selected.

For what it's worth, I tried similar steps in the current Designer, and the standard Mac behavior is respected.

Thanks for discovering this. I get the same behavior on my Mac. I think it is probably related to some of the other 'wrong focus' behaviors, like with Quick Look spacebar activation, which doesn't work at all for me for the Open operation with another pub document open, & only shows but does not hide a Quick Look preview for the Place command.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.