You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher offers crash recovery without crash

I'm occasionally getting the offer to restore a file after a crash even when no crash occurred (I'm not getting the OS X dialog box with the stack trace when quitting Publisher before this happens). If I the software to go ahead and recover the file, it presents me with an earlier state of the last document I worked on.

I suspect this might be something like a temporary autosave feature for crash recovery not deleting the temporary file when quitting the application or something along those lines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I've had this happen as well. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I was doing 100 things at once but now you've raised it on the forum, it has just clicked that there does seem to be a genuine issue.

I can't tell if it's a really delayed response to a crash that happened a while ago or something going wrong.

I'll see what I can do. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

I can't tell if it's a really delayed response to a crash that happened a while ago or something going wrong.

If/When it happens again would you like me to save the crash report? It isn't an important bug but it is a bug.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
13 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

If/When it happens again would you like me to save the crash report? It isn't an important bug but it is a bug.

Yes, please :) 

@Egged - I have a feeling this is more likely what I saw. I quite often have to open large/problematic files and I'm sure when I closed one and then closed the app, I got the report. I've got some poking to do... :35_thinking:

Hmm, Now it's opening properly. Since it didn't crash, I don't have a crash report, and only a screen shot of the 2nd warning (attached). I had been having all kinds of kerning trouble with my book, and in frustration, cut the text that had been pasted from a Word document formatted for the Kindle, eliminated the old APub text box, pasted the text into Apple TextEdit to eliminate the formatting and pasted it into a new text box. My "bug" has now disappeared, and I've done this now to the entire book. I'm wondering if there was link between Word and APub causing the failure to open properly? Today, it opens normally as I'd expect.

File Open Message.jpeg

Well, that's worse than what's happening to me. In my case, after closing the document and trying to reopen it, I get the "open recovered file" option, then when I click on it, I get the "file open in another application" alert. I can't open the file until I quit and relaunch APub, but I haven't had to restart the computer to do so.

Every time I start publisher right now I get a message that there is an unsaved file or something like that and asking if I want to open it; I keep telling it not to open it and it keeps asking each time I start up again.

Shouldn't it remove the file or at least stop pesting me about it?

Had a Recovery after successfully closing a document and then Quitting the Application. A couple of minutes later it offered up a crash recovery.Affinity Publisher Beta_2018-09-22-091445_Bruces-MacBook.crash.zip

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.