You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crashes when opening recently saved file

It's happening to me too now.

all worked fine until today.

error is 92aa66d8-ebba-464b-8886-239dd1c4f3c0

Only with a specific file.

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

Hi Chris,

The file is attached. I suspect that it's to do with the size of the file (yes it was the only file that I had created up until the report of the crash on the forum.), as I started a new file after the report - which at present is under 5mb, and that has no issue opening.

With starting the smaller one last night, I noticed that there's no size difference between my placed file being linked, or being embedded. From the tutorial video that I watched, I got the impression that it would always make a difference.

Calendar_2019_test.afpub

• Staff

Hi Luyanne, RM10,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Did you add any images to one of the master pages and applied that master to a regular spread? If so, after saving and closing the document Affinity Publisher crashes when opening that file. This issue is already logged to be looked at.

I thought I posted this here but forgive me if I posted this elsewhere.

The thing now does NOT boot up at all - just gives the error message and crashes.  Can't bypass it, closing the window the software turns off.

Not related to original saved files, can't do new files or anything due to that "Unhandled Exception" error and again the software closes immediately on closing it.

11Sep18CrashReportScreenshot1.thumb.jpg.a8318de2d7e544804663921c5fd4b667.jpg

@Greengestalt

Are you saying you now get the crash when you just start APub without trying to open a document.

If so, did you have the option to "Reopen document on startup" set in your preferences?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

No, I don't have that selected.

Not that I know at least.  Is it a default?

What's worse is that I tried to open Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and it crashed those...!

I re-booted the computer and able to use them then.  Affinity Publisher still crashed the first time, but luckily was able to load.  I isolated it to one file that crashes it, but able to open new ones after create/save and an earlier one.  Heh, that was good, I did install it and started typing something new in enthusiasm...my bad, was warned...  Include the screenshot, I pixelated the page since I haven't released that story yet...  Moved text to other word processors to complete.

Seems to be working now, I'll just isolate the 2nd file.  The only real difference was I'd copied the text but tried to branch from a master page trying to get around the huge save file from the background - again that's something you should work on - anything on the master page should be used once in the document.  Maybe a "Source File Document" folder to manage it.  But the first thing I did when I got this program working a few mins ago was to make a quick multipage/use master page to modify - save, close program, open, open file. (did not auto open so unlikely that option is selected)11Sep18CrashReportScreenshot2.thumb.jpg.e0aecb1fa66f8499bc237f4a16d1544e.jpg

Now, if you wish I'll email (to an email sent from affinity team) my fatal file so they can pick it apart to look for what's triggering it.  Has a bit of a new story I'm working on so please don't distribute though - more for embarrassment of early work on a project than giving away some good idea.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:58 PM, john77477 said:

I was having serious problems with opening fikles when stored on an external (cloud) drive. I haven't had any since storing locally on my C drive

Hi John,

Tried that, and publisher still crashed. It's definitely the Master page to Spread problem for me.

• Staff

Sorry about the problem reloading some files. While we are adding new features (like linked images that caused this issue) we may well introduce the odd regressions, but will always try to avoid the more drastic ones like this. When it does happen we will always attempt to fix it by the next beta release and make your files load again where possible.

For this specific problem, the next public beta build (for various reasons called #127 or #128) will be able to load these crashing build #58 files (and the ones created in #57 that do not reopen too).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you @Patrick Connor

Those are good news.

I have the crashed file in waiting list, hoping to be able to reload it again.

I'm trying to create double backup files and restart the app once in a while to prevent the situation for now. (im not sure if my problem was about the image from master page or not, because I don't remember to add any to it)

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry about the problem reloading some files. While we are adding new features (like linked images that caused this issue) we may well introduce the odd regressions, but will always try to avoid the more drastic ones like this. When it does happen we will always attempt to fix it by the next beta release and make your files load again where possible.

For this specific problem, the next public beta build (for various reasons called #127 or #128) will be able to load these crashing build #58 files (and the ones created in #57 that do not reopen too).

No problem!

I know its in testing.  So far I'm quite eager to help and provide input.

Again - is there a way to "Drag and Drop" and instantly create many pages of text? 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Greengestalt said:

Again - is there a way to "Drag and Drop" and instantly create many pages of text? 

Not that I know of 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 9/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, MEB said:

Hi Luyanne, RM10,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Did you add any images to one of the master pages and applied that master to a regular spread? If so, after saving and closing the document Affinity Publisher crashes when opening that file. This issue is already logged to be looked at.

This appeared in my document too. I'll try recreating it without master spread graphics and report back! :)

EDIT: Removing graphic from master spreads works. Looking forward to this being patched!

Edited by dpeters911
test

1 hour ago, dpeters911 said:

This appeared in my document too. I'll try recreating it without master spread graphics and report back! :)

EDIT: Removing graphic from master spreads works. Looking forward to this being patched!

That's exactly what happened!

I'd manually added it each page that file but put the same jpeg of scanned parchment in 'master' on the one that kept opening.

Good work so far - definitely an issue its good to correct now.

Again - forgive me posting this a lot -but these are things you should be able to do and will really help an "Indie" self-publisher for long stories/comics

1 - Make a 'master' image source so the file doesn't magnify many many times if I use page borders/backgrounds

2 - Make a "Page Generator text drop" where I can format a page - say backgrounds, borders, text block - then drop a huge text file like 40+ pages and I automaticly get that page multiplied with the features, optional page #, etc. that I can then add pictures/pages with full page picture to, etc.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.