You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anybody using a Wacom Small CTL-4100 with Affinity Designer or Photo?

Most Graphic Tablets will work with Affinity, which model is the tablet? maybe people can tell you of any minor issues you might have?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Most Graphic Tablets will work with Affinity, which model is the tablet? maybe people can tell you of any minor issues you might have?

Thank you for the reply

I'm planning to buy Wacom Intuos Draw (CTL-4100). Still planning to buy it, but try to make sure it's fully compatible first :D

I did a quick search and there are no references to the CTL-4100 so thats probably a good thing. Try adding a post or changing the title of this post to:  

"Anybody using a Wacom Small CTL-4100 with Affinity Designer or Photo?"

Being more specific in the Title will probably get more focused answers.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I did a quick search and there are no references to the CTL-4100 so thats probably a good thing. Try adding a post or changing the title of this post to:  

"Anybody using a Wacom Small CTL-4100 with Affinity Designer or Photo?"

Being more specific in the Title will probably get more focused answers.

Done!

Thank you @firstdefence :)

If it is for doing some line art (ie: comics inking, or line art based illustration, etc)  I highly recommend to activate the stabiliser feature, shows up in the top toolbar once you have selected the brush tool, and configure its settings there to your liking (you have to tune your other settings of the brush, but that is another matter). 

Because this is the Intuos Small, is pretty tiny, and for line art might be more than desired to use this Affinity feature.

Indeed, for line art, I would recommend activating this setting with mostly any tablet.

For photo retouch or other digital painting, is probably better to leave it OFF. :) 

I would be surprised if you would have any issue, but in that case, just report it here, we might help.  :) 

EDIT: Just realized that you were speaking about Affinity Designer, not Photo. Well, a lot of that still applies.  :) 

Cheers, 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

8 hours ago, SrPx said:

If it is for doing some line art (ie: comics inking, or line art based illustration, etc)  I highly recommend to activate the stabiliser feature, shows up in the top toolbar once you have selected the brush tool, and configure its settings there to your liking (you have to tune your other settings of the brush, but that is another matter). 

Because this is the Intuos Small, is pretty tiny, and for line art might be more than desired to use this Affinity feature.

Indeed, for line art, I would recommend activating this setting with mostly any tablet.

For photo retouch or other digital painting, is probably better to leave it OFF. :) 

I would be surprised if you would have any issue, but in that case, just report it here, we might help.  :) 

EDIT: Just realized that you were speaking about Affinity Designer, not Photo. Well, a lot of that still applies.  :) 

Cheers, 

Thank you for the tips @SrPx :)

How about Pen Tool? Is it good? Since I use Pen Tool a lot for my works... For tracing and stuff.

Thank you!

Yes it is very good, indeed ! 

There are a collection of workflows you will go discovering with it. Also, is often practical to generate a "profile" of brush pressure in the curve editor, do first your lines with the Pen, and then apply that brush style. Is indeed an ideal workflow when the tablet is in the low end/cheap rank, and for this or whatever the reason, you are not getting exactly the pressure effect that you want.

The wonder in Affinity Designer  (and actually, AP) is that, as a very versatile package, it allows you to make things in many ways to reach your objetive and your art. So, it is good to experiment till you find your favorite workflow.And even so, you will naturally be always trying new things.  :)

That if you meant the A. Designer's pen tool, the software tool. If you meant the tablet pen opposed to using a regular mouse, well, I yet find my self using a mix of both hardware devices, I have both always handy, I do a lot of stuff with the mouse as I am yet faster with it. This is very personal, it varies from person to person. I tried that of only handling the wacom pen for a week, but did not work for me. Again, it depends on each individual. I draw with the Wacom pen, and do everything else with the mouse. Nothing is set in stone, you are free to use all these things as you see best for you! :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

13 hours ago, SrPx said:

Yes it is very good, indeed ! 

There are a collection of workflows you will go discovering with it. Also, is often practical to generate a "profile" of brush pressure in the curve editor, do first your lines with the Pen, and then apply that brush style. Is indeed an ideal workflow when the tablet is in the low end/cheap rank, and for this or whatever the reason, you are not getting exactly the pressure effect that you want.

The wonder in Affinity Designer  (and actually, AP) is that, as a very versatile package, it allows you to make things in many ways to reach your objetive and your art. So, it is good to experiment till you find your favorite workflow.And even so, you will naturally be always trying new things.  :)

That if you meant the A. Designer's pen tool, the software tool. If you meant the tablet pen opposed to using a regular mouse, well, I yet find my self using a mix of both hardware devices, I have both always handy, I do a lot of stuff with the mouse as I am yet faster with it. This is very personal, it varies from person to person. I tried that of only handling the wacom pen for a week, but did not work for me. Again, it depends on each individual. I draw with the Wacom pen, and do everything else with the mouse. Nothing is set in stone, you are free to use all these things as you see best for you! :)

Thank you so much for detailed answer @SrPx, it really helped me a lot :)

Just ordered one for me, also bought AP since I think it also would be helpful for my photo edit works.

Thanks!