You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advanced features of Text Search not working

The text search looks amazing, but not all of the options seem to work.  For example:

1. Using "format" option under Find, I was able to identify text with specific fonts, but when I add a font-size, the results go to zero.

2. The color option seems to not work.  When looking for text of a specific color, even if I match the color using the RGB slider, returns no results.

3. Also, the style search options are cool, letting you narrow searches down to text that has a specific style applied; however, it would be useful to also designate an option for "No style" applied.  

These would help significantly when cleaning up a large document and retroactively applying styles to text that was previously formatted manually.

I had success with each of your criteria. Did you click the  'Reset Format' button/line/item after each attempt? Failing to do so would build up a nonexistent set of characteristics. 

I agree that the ability to search for "No Style applied' would be a boon.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure that these work with PDFs. Granted I only tried with a couple of files (and neither was close to 700 pages). None of the format options worked other than just font family which makes it pretty useless.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff
On 9/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, Jim Fisher said:

Huh.   It's still not working for me, even with the latest version.  I wonder if its a document size issue?  I'm working an an imported PDF of approximately 700 pages.

HI Jim. 

It might be your document. I tried it with some Text filler and both Size and Colour work fine. You can test it with the PDF I attached. 

The word modified is: dignissim

Colour: #FF0000 HEX

Size: 16

Everything was fine. 

If you attach the PDF you have issues with, we can have a look for you. 

Thanks

Gabe. 

dignissim.pdf

Cool, I could search for only the colour #FF0000 and replace it with #000000. I shall continue to experiment and see if I can come up with a problem file for you.

It does seem to be related to the PDF I've imported.  I created a new document and put in text with varying fonts, size, and colors and was able to successfully search all kinds of combinations, but the going back to .afpub document that was the original PDF and these features definitely don't work on it.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:17 AM, GabrielM said:

I'd like to to solve the issue, but I'm not the original author of the PDF and don't have distribution rights.  (I'm updating the original with published errata for personal use).

I'll try to reproduce it in a smaller formate with the text changed.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:17 AM, GabrielM said:

1 hour ago, Jim Fisher said:

I'll try to reproduce it in a smaller formate with the text changed.

Okay.  It's definitely something inside of the file.  I've squashed it down to two pages, replaced the text with nonsense, and I've attached it.

Here's a simple example using Find -> Format:

• Font family: Helvetica Neue LT Std; 
  • Font traits: 97 Black Condensed;

This works fine.  When I search it returns 5 results: two are 18 pts, two are 10 pts; one is 9.5 pts.

Now I go back to the Find -> Format settings and add the "18 pt" Font size option to the existing options.

The result is (which, clearly should return two results):

<No results found>

I've updated to 1.7.0.140, BTW.

Hope this helps.

textSearch.afpub

Publisher can identify the missing font but when I go to enter the Font Traits it is unavailable (greyed out menu) and with only the font family in the format field I get bupkis for the find request. Sorry I can't help with this.

• Staff

Something is definitely wrong. Not really sure what, but it's document-specific for sure. The way I got it to work as to Export as PDF for Export, and then import back the PDF. This fixed the issues. 

On 10/8/2018 at 3:44 AM, GabrielM said:

The way I got it to work as to Export as PDF for Export, and then import back the PDF. This fixed the issues. 

Sadly, I wasn't able to duplicate your success in the original document.  After more experimentation, I did find something else however:  the results are returned when half the font size is specified.  That is, in the final step of the example I gave above, searching for a font size of 9 pts will return the two elements that are 18 pts

Hope this helps.

Ok.  Please remember that I don't have rights for distribution, as I mentioned, so this is just for diagnostic purposes and should be deleted when complete.

On a related note: there were some strange formatting issues with upper and lower casing as well that only showed in Affinity, not PDF viewers, but I solved these by first opening it in Preview, then exporting it to PDF.

Thanks for looking into this.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.