You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about recalculation AP

Hi!
When I change the document size  there is al question about recalculation. Then I export the document and now there is this question again. Why twice and what happens.
When changing the document size, I can take the hook for recalculation, but not with the Export. What is the right approach?

Guzzi

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

• Staff

Hi Guzzi,

Resize document will always be at Bilinear by default where as the resample dropdown in the export menu will show the last option selected until the app is restarted. If you feel as though the resampling method for export should mirror the method shown for resize document I recommend making a post about this in the feature requests section.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum.

Thanks for your answer. My question, however, was why the possibility of recalculation comes twice and what happens if I have the image calculated twice. This is more important to me than the two different possibilities. And what happens if I do not recalculate the document size the first time?  Whenever I make changes to a document, I will never "save it as" but always export it.

Greeting
Guzzi

Hello Guzzi,
I think I know what you mean.
When the image size is changed, becomes to be the aspect ratio and the associated resolution recalculated. (1200 pix x 800 pix, 300 dpi or 1200 pix x 800, 150 dpi)
The recalculation during export, refers to the sharpening of the image.

I hope it is right so.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

A user may wish to resize the document as part of the Photo persona processing. I will often resize a documet before sharpening or applying other adjustments. Like you, I usually export my document rather than Save As... The export process gives you the option of resizing, but you may choose to ignore this. I usually do. Affinity thus gives you the possibility of resizing at various stages in the process, including a final option before exporting. 

With respect to resizing twice. There is a school of thought that recommends that rather than resize to 25%, you resize to 50% twice, applying adjustments at each stage. Most people go direct! Try it and see. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I often tryed different "algorithms" for export/resize ... i cant not see any difference! Are they real, or ist that just "homopathic", like golden-cabel / special electricity for musicians??????

From 72 to 400 dpi will REALLY change something, often (not always) it will magically improve (i do not know,  its a "sharpen-process" by sametime smooth/new anti-aliasing...????") - yeah it works (sometimes). But i cannot recognize any difference with the different "algorithms"!

And this HQR / XBR.... maybe it works for always sharp/high res...pictures, but as "repair" for "low-res-snapshots" its completely unusable! 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

13 hours ago, Polygonius said:

I often tryed different "algorithms" for export/resize ... i cant not see any difference! Are they real, or ist that just "homopathic", like golden-cabel / special electricity for musicians??????

Hello Polygonius and the others!
Thank you for your comments. If I see that right, the developers here have probably shot something about the target. This is complicated to see through. In the photo editing I do everything. Clipping, possible corrections and adjusting the sharpness. That should be expected once - done.

Greetings
Guzzi