You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot globally change page size after a document is created

Summary: Working on a document, decide to change the page size, find it impossible to do globally.  Must do it page by page.

Approach: I expected to be able to change
- Initially Document Setup for overall dimensions but not available.
- Then the master page, then apply that to the existing pages, but it had no effect even when Apply Master was used.
- Then selecting all pages and choosing Spread Setup and changing dimensions but only the initial selected page was changed.

Result:  had to do it page by page.

Seems to work for me…

1. Created a new document at A4 size.
  2. Added a few random text frames.
  3. Went into Spread Setup.
  4. Chose All Spreads and A5 Landscape.

Result: All spreads changed from A4 to A5 Landscape.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 9 months later...

The problem is that you cannot globally change, say, the spread size of a document that had been created using a preset from the Device category to a size taken from the Print category. That’s a limitation indeed. Hmm.

(But you can, of course, globally enter custom pt values for the spread size, Simon.)

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem. Page size in my document is custom and I need it 15mm longer. I changed the master adding 15mm in lenght and 15mm in inner margins to keep design aligned with outer margins. When I apply the Master to all pages, no page changes size, but margins do change. When I select the master in Layers I can see a "frame" of the master with the right size over the page on view, but the page is still the original size. How annoying that such things that used to be so simple with Page Plus now take ages to solve...

Please help!

Captura de tela 2019-07-29 17.26.30.png

7 minutes ago, Liegemg said:

When I apply the Master to all pages, no page changes size,

You cannot change page sizes by applying a different Master or a changed Master. You must use Spread Setup, either from the Context Toolbar or from File > Spread Setup...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you, Walt. Is there a reason for that? It would make things easier to have master page size reflect on pages.

When I selected all pages and changes size on spread properties, it worked for all pages but the 2 pages on the last spread. Not sure why, but at least problem was solved.

It might just be the way they did it.

Or it might be related to the fact that you can apply multiple Masters to a single document page, and if the Master page could change the document page size that might get complicated and make Master page handling harder for both Serif and the user.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 months later...

I just used the Spread Setup to change the document specifications. I used "scaled" for All Pages and made the page width a few points less wide. And changed margins a bit. All of the document pages changed to match.

However, the master pages did not change - so that leaves the "section names" and "page numbers" (that are at the inside corners of the margins) not displaying correctly on all of the spreads. That is, the recto page (the spreads are now less wide than the masters) shows page numbers and section names too far to the right. They are "objects", correct?

I have 4 masters and each spread/page has only a single master applied.

So then I displayed the first master page and attempted to change the document size - AFPUB froze and stopped responding.

Would appreciate help in getting this done - the object is to make the pages slightly less wide in preparation for uploading to a print shop - to meet their specifications for page sizing, etc., AND to get the masters to change to match. And, ideally, the objects on the pages will scale a tiny bit to accommodate the less wide pages.

1 hour ago, thetasig said:

AND to get the masters to change to match.

That currently takes a second use of Spread Setup, to change the Master pages. I'm not sure if that's what you tried, as you mention changing the document size, not using Spread Setup again.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Walt. I did get it to work. However, I found that using Scaling, anchor to page, or anchor to spread all moved objects around on the pages - losing any "centering" I had used between objects and centering to the page. This meant that, for example, background images (full spread or full page) would overlap into the bleed (or not abut the bleed as originally done) instead of staying within the boundaries. I performed a manual change back to what I wanted, but maybe this should be looked into.

What I would expect is that "scaling" would automatically scale objects larger or smaller AND keep them in a relative position on the page and/or spread. Am I expecting too much?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.