You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you help me with this export problem (Affinity Designer for iPad)?

Posted below are 2 cropped images:

The first image is a high-quality screen grab (.jpeg) directly from Affinity Designer.

The second image is lower-quality .png exported from the same Affinity Designer file. See how it is lower in resolution and does not look sharp?

Is there a way to have my exported .png file show up at a higher resolution?

logo.jpeg

logo-export-png.png

6 hours ago, Markus Allen said:

Bump for attention...

Any ideas on this: can you suggest what export settings I use to produce a cleaner export?

Export at a higher resolution. The higher the export resolution, the better the quality.

pngquality.png.377b155b5cbc73cb75e9a423ee0de28c.png

it would be better to design it bigger in the first place, i.e. if your fonts are 18 points, design using 36 points then it will automatically be twice the size and twice the quality when you export it.

This K was exported at 900 px

900.png.973046038402f2a82006705a5aa09209.png

The same K exported at 100 px 

900k.png.2ac0cbfd12bcf62ee7ca52cab41c1727.png

That wont work if the original was a bitmap image, as opposed to a vector, image, because Exporting can't magically add pixels.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks for this reply.

My entire logo is vector based.

In any graphic's program I have used, I have never had to increase the dimensions to get a higher resolution - I would just click the export as .png and it would look great.

Are we sure this is not a bug in the software?

41 minutes ago, Markus Allen said:

Are we sure this is not a bug in the software?

Absolutely not!

A PNG file is made up of pixels, and will be exported at whatever size (number of pixels) you designed it. Your design size decides how many pixels there will be. How else would it know what size it should be? 

If you export your file as a vector format, like WMF or SVG it is resolution independent and can be scaled to any size at the destination. So you don't need to set a size first, although it is a better idea to design it correctly.

As I said before, design it the right size in the first place, or resize it when you export it in the Export panel.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

14 minutes ago, toltec said:

As I said before, design it the right size in the first place, or resize it when you export it in the Export panel.

I appreciate you, toltec for helping me out with this.

About designing it the right size in the first place...

I was never taught to design a logo bigger than its final size. Is this common knowledge (if so, I feel stupid).