You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all!

First of all, I must state that I am a complete beginner regarding affinity Designer although I am used to AI, maybe that's where the problem lays.
I am using AD as a trial for now (plan on buying) and on windows 10, with a graphic tablet.

First thing I am wondering is that is there anyway to rotate the workspace (studio?) in order to draw more naturally. I saw people doing that with Designer on Ipad (and I can do that in PS and AI) and it would be ace if it could be done in the desktop version. Problem is, I can't find anything related (and so far simple searches return zilch)

Second question so far would be to know if there's a way to quickly - or defaulting, painstakingly :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - copy effects from one layer to another (either by drag and drop with a modifier key or without, or simply by "copy and paste")... Again, I can't find anything.

I guess I can group the different layers and apply the effects on the group, but I usually apply effects by copy and pasting (PS/AI) and then sometimes modify the effects individually. For example:  drop shadows and the way they interact with each others.

I probably don't type in the right words, but I hope my queries make sense...

I will have no doubts plenty of other questions to ask as I go along :)

Thanks!

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher/Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom/Inkscape

Hi,

You can copy and paste styles by selecting the object with the effects you want to copy, and then copy it. Next, select the object that is to receive the effects, go to the Edit tab and click on Paste style. Note: you can hold SHIFT while selecting multiple objects and then apply the same style to all of them. Does the achieve what you are after?

I hope this helps.

Thanks Silver 06, that's exactly that. The problem with being AI trained is that I searched for it in the layers panel, instead of the layer menu (I am not a menu person :) )

I think the paste effects command could be well duplicated in the right click contextual menu (when you right click on a layer) if that makes sense... Maybe for a future version...

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

Hello, 4personnen,

I don't have a track pad, but I notice there is a preference that will enable one for rotation use. I can only use the menu, or make a keyboard shortcut to rotate by 15 degree increments.

I use the the "Paste Style," and "Paste LayerFX" keyboard combinations continuously. One can also create a style in the style palette, and apply it across various documents.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks gdenby, I tried to look at the preferences but can't find any "trackpad" option in there.

Are you talking about the "rotate view" in the "view" menu". if it is, then it answers my question, that's what I meant... Although an "on-the-go" rotate tool would help better than going to the menu every time (but you're right, a keyboard shortcut at least helps with the workflow)

I didn't think about using style, so it's a helpful reminder. I am still getting to grips with the interface, but so far, so good :)

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

It's in Tools with the Mac version.

1042277081_ScreenShot2018-09-09at21_19_20.png.77d3c2bc4da39df4785f233051ccc7d6.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Well, then it seems that it's OS dependant

By the way, I should be able to use us without a track pad, don't you think? I usually use this when cutting out long objects in Photoshop (artworking) and I do that with the mouse, but I also use it in Illustrator (and previously with Painter) with the tablet...

I can't see myself using a trackpad in any situation whatsoever... Or maybe they mean something else than what I call a trackpad?

By the way, I have no idea what a radial controller is :)

sc2.jpg

Edited by 4personnen
Found what a radial controller is : Surface studio type dial...

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4