Vlad Gorlov

Crash when focusing cursor on Search field in Swatches palette.

Hey Vlad Gorlov, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

We've had a few reports like this but so far haven't been able to reproduce it. Could you confirm the following please:

1. Are you using a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar
  2. What language is your OS in
  3. What keyboard input are you using
  4. Have you changed any of the default Touch Bar settings from System Preferences
  5. Does it crash when you click in other areas such as Guides Manager, Glyph Browser and Styles

Unfortunately, it seems like there is little to no useful info in the crash reports we are receiving for this crash. I'll pass yours on in the hope that development car start connecting the dots.

Thanks

I believe we may have tracked this down to the Accessibility Keyboard from System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard > Enable Accessibility Keyboard. Could you please confirm if you have this enabled or not. If you don't, do you use any other apps to assist with keyboard input?

Thanks!

Hello Chris,

1. Are you using a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar: True. I am using MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017).
  2. What language is your OS in: English
  3. What keyboard input are you using: Build-in MacBook Pro Keyboard.
  4. Have you changed any of the default Touch Bar settings from System Preferences: Added "Lock screen touch bar key instead of Siri".
  5. Does it crash when you click in other areas such as Guides Manager, Glyph Browser and Styles.: No. Seems only several fields has reported issue.

Thanks!

Just now, Chris B said:

I believe we may have tracked this down to the Accessibility Keyboard from System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard > Enable Accessibility Keyboard. Could you please confirm if you have this enabled or not.

"Enable Accessibility Keyboard" is off.

s180910_1612341.png

I'm a bit surprised that it isn't enabled. You definitely don't have any other apps running that might assist with some kind of keyboard input?

Now that we've reproduced it, we might have enough to go on for the developers to fix this. Thanks for your help :) 

13 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm a bit surprised that it isn't enabled. You definitely don't have any other apps running that might assist with some kind of keyboard input?

Now that we've reproduced it, we might have enough to go on for the developers to fix this. Thanks for your help :) 

I have Karabiner elements service running (https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements). Using this tool to remap CapsLook key to act as Keyboard Layout switch .)
Also using text expansion tool aText (http://www.trankynam.com/atext/).

But so far have no issues in other apps related to either tool .)

I've just installed both apps and configured them but the app still doesn't crash. Would you be able to disable both apps from running and see if it still crashes? And maybe you could export your profiles for each app and attach it so I can load them into mine. 

I really appreciate all your help so far.

Hello Chris,

I quit mentioned apps and used application one more time. Still crashing :0

Crash log shows recursive calls to itself (SchemeSearchFieldCell fieldEditorForView).
It is seems logical error. As macOS developer I was doing similar errors in past as well .)

Affinity Designer Trial_2018-09-11-145143_VG-MBP-TD7.crash

Affinity Designer Trial_2018-09-11-145238_VG-MBP-TD7.crash

That's essentially what lead us to find our way of reproducing this yesterday :) 

Hopefully, our method of crashing it is enough for the developers to put a fix in for this.

Thanks again for all your help!

@Vlad Gorlov Could you do me a massive favour and install the Publisher Beta and see if you still get the crash? I can't reproduce the crashes in Publisher w/ the Accessibility Keyboard enabled (like I can in Designer and Photo) so we may have hopefully got a fix for this. 

Here's a link to sign up for the beta - https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/ 

If you don't have time, let me know and I'll find someone else :)