You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hierarchical TOC, how?

12 minutes ago, eluengo said:

.... resolved.... a bit awkward, but resolved ;)

That’s good news. (Well, not the ‘awkward’ bit, of course!)

It might help other users if you could briefly describe how you resolved the issue.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

OK

all works more or less as I awaited (and lacking any help, I've seen the answers afterwards)

BUT... something happens with the order in which the app finds the different frames with the text&styles which should be inserted when the app compiles a TOC (in my case it is not a continuous text, there are different frames with different chunks of text), because it showed initially an erroneus entry order in the TOC frame. The solution was to cut and then paste the text frame that appeared  in the bad order in the TOC. Sorry I don't have the screen images, because it happened with a long and repeated trial-error sequence.

I've identified theTOC ordering problem....

If the frame containing a hierarchical superior (supraordinated) line is created or pasted after a frame with a subordinate text item also compiling for the TOC, the result is that this last frame/text appears before the previous existing frame/text (subordinated, theoretically).

Solution is cutting and re-pasting this previous existing text frame, and after recompiling the TOC, the lines order is the correct.

(reordering through the [Layers] panel has no effect)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, eluengo said:

OK

all works more or less as I awaited (and lacking any help, I've seen the answers afterwards)

BUT... something happens with the order in which the app finds the different frames with the text&styles which should be inserted when the app compiles a TOC (in my case it is not a continuous text, there are different frames with different chunks of text), because it showed initially an erroneus entry order in the TOC frame. The solution was to cut and then paste the text frame that appeared  in the bad order in the TOC. Sorry I don't have the screen images, because it happened with a long and repeated trial-error sequence.

Thanks, I was pulling my hair out over this. Clearly AP needs to be fixed in this regard, with settings on how to assess hierarchy within a page. Presumably the default should be from left to right and top to bottom, and in that order so that columns work effectively. Some languages or even some layouts, may require a different parsing to determine intended hierarchy.

I would suggest that additionally a hierarchy could be defined through text styles. Clearly Heading 1 should appear above Heading 2 but defining hierarchy based on the style name could be quite confusing and require a certain rigour when setting up the file. It is also not necessarily obvious from a UI / UX point of view. However, I setting in the Table of Contents panel or in the text styles panel would be great to supplement the necessary default behaviours described above.

It's an interesting problem and one I've never really thought about before because InDesign seems to generally get it right without much effort or messing about.

6 minutes ago, robinp said:

Just had a complete crash on trying to delete the default 'separator' within the table panel. It keeps doing it so it is repeatable. I will save the file for sharing with Serif via private link.

@Dave Harris  @MEB @Chris_K

Actually, I've now tried creating a completely new file and it also crashes any trying to do any kind of edit to the separator.

Edit: See above, apparently it is fixed. Just testing now.