Jump to content
Eugene Tyson

Suggestion Underline options - confusing dialog

Recommended Posts

Is it possible to offset the underline of text, change the stroke type too, maybe dotted, or dashed? 

1208356825_Capture3.PNG.e25ff56e7298027903cbb201771c0e03.PNG

The interface for Text Decorations is looking like this. 

 

Confusing Dialog

You'd think adjusting the stroke weight would affect the weight of the underline - but this isn't the case - it adds a stroke around the text. 

 

There is no way to adjust the stroke weight of the underline - that or I'm missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid not. We get the width and position of the underline and stroke from the font metrics, so they are determined by the designer of the font and there is no way to override them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

I'm afraid not. We get the width and position of the underline and stroke from the font metrics, so they are determined by the designer of the font and there is no way to override them.

How do other systems do it then? InDesign handles it quite well, as did Quark. 

Word even allows dotted or wavy lines. I think it's something that would be essential to a lot of workflows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same confusion and opinion here.

For example you can use the underline options in InDesign to create some kind of highlighting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you're asking for is a separate feature from the underline option, which is a text style like bold or italics.

What you're looking for is what InDesign calls Paragraph Rules. I see no evidence of Publisher having this feature which seems like it should be a basic necessity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

What you're looking for is what InDesign calls Paragraph Rules. I see no evidence of Publisher having this feature which seems like it should be a basic necessity

I think the Affinity term you may be looking for, rather than "rule", is "decoration".


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

What you're asking for is a separate feature from the underline option, which is a text style like bold or italics.

What you're looking for is what InDesign calls Paragraph Rules. I see no evidence of Publisher having this feature which seems like it should be a basic necessity.

 

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think the Affinity term you may be looking for, rather than "rule", is "decoration".

 

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with that. Indesign Paragraph Rules are more like Decorations. But Indesign can directly change the colour, size & offset of underlined text. APub definitely can't do that at the moment.


Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MickRose said:

I disagree with that. Indesign Paragraph Rules are more like Decorations. But Indesign can directly change the colour, size & offset of underlined text. APub definitely can't do that at the moment.

Exactly this - and quark could do it aswell. I used to underline words in kids books with dots, and apply a rainbow gradient... it was funky and easy to do with Underline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't help that there are Text Decorations and Paragraph Decorations. What about "Borders & Fills", "Extras", "Embellishments", "Highlights" - anything but Decorations. But I think we are stuck with it.


Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

What you're asking for is a separate feature from the underline option, which is a text style like bold or italics.

What you're looking for is what InDesign calls Paragraph Rules. I see no evidence of Publisher having this feature which seems like it should be a basic necessity.

I had a quick look what people are doing with Paragraph Rules and definetly learnd something new.

And I also realized that what is in InDesign done with an underline (see attached screenshot) is just the characters background color in Affinity. Sometimes it is easier as you think...

Schnappschuss (2018-09-11 09.58.15).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can APub set character background colour? I thought that was just Pageplus.

"And I also realized that what is in InDesign done with an underline (see attached screenshot) is just the characters background color in Affinity. Sometimes it is easier as you think..."


Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MickRose said:

Can APub set character background colour? I thought that was just Pageplus.

"And I also realized that what is in InDesign done with an underline (see attached screenshot) is just the characters background color in Affinity. Sometimes it is easier as you think..."

Right next to the font color. The same in Designer and Photo.

Schnappschuss (2018-09-11 11.59.17).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I come to this thread after I discovered the lack of underline options, specifically offset and stroke thickness. On the current document that brought me to the forums for this question, I just want to adjust the offset for a font that is otherwise good. It looks like I have to go back to hunting for another font. Please add underline options to the roadmap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

On the current document that brought me to the forums for this question, I just want to adjust the offset for a font that is otherwise good.

What font is it? Even if it’s a commercial font, some font designers are happy for users to modify their fonts as long as the modified version isn’t distributed (but you’d have to check, of course, that this applies to your chosen font).


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alfred said:

What font is it? Even if it’s a commercial font, some font designers are happy for users to modify their fonts

It is Vollkorn.

I hadn't thought about modifying the font itself. If the font were essential, I might look into it (I currently do not have any font editing software). However, I think I do not want to do that for the sake of consistency across systems where the font is used elsewhere.

I cite this as an example of how extra controls on underlining could be useful. The document was originally set in Minion Pro (for some reason), but I need to move away from that since kerning with apostrophe in French is terrible on that font. I always used "optical kerning" in InDesign for that font, which yields better results in such cases.

Affinity is making me weed out the bad fonts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

It is Vollkorn.

I hadn't thought about modifying the font itself. If the font were essential, I might look into it (I currently do not have any font editing software). However, I think I do not want to do that for the sake of consistency across systems where the font is used elsewhere.

Vollkorn is distributed under the SIL Open Font Licence, so you’re free to modify it if you want (and even distribute the modified version, as long as you don’t use the original — or ‘reserved’ — name) but that’s potentially problematic, as you’ve indicated, if you need consistency across multiple systems.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

It is Vollkorn. 

How would you like to change the offset and stroke thickness?

I have been creating a Vollkorn specimen book to demonstrate the OpenType features in LibreOffice.
Vollkorn-Specimen-Book_p01.thumb.png.7c0b29ddbe24488b6f28a9144e390415.png

So you have me curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

On that font, the underline is too low, so I would like to raise it closer to the baseline.

You mentioned Minion Pro - would you like it to be visually similar?

Or do you have some specifics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I recall, the underline in Minion Pro is acceptable.

I have completed the particular layout about which I was talking earlier. In this thread I was just giving an example of how the feature request for these additional features could be used. In InDesign, if I saw an underline that is not to taste, I would just fix it with offset or altered thickness as necessary, but we don't presently have such an option in Publisher.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I compared Minion Pro and Vollkorn underlining and I see what you mean.
Minion Pro is closer to the baseline and crosses the decenders at a higher point.

I love Vollkorn but as I have become intimately involved with it I have found a few issues.
e.g. for some reason the designer thinks the narrow non-breaking space should be the same width as a regular space (he stated this). That would be a problem in some languages who use it a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.