You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Continued on and Continued from Page Numbers

InDesign includes a feature where when text frames are flowed over several pages it is possible to automatically insert the Continued on page number at the bottom of the first page and the Continued from page number at the top of the next page. It is activated by choosing Type→Insert Special Character→Marker→Next or Previous Page Number when the Continued text frame slightly overlaps the content frame.

Is this already available in Publisher or is there a plan to include it?

Thanks for your feedback Eugene.

I noted the Next and Previous Page Number listing in the Text>Insert menu but it literally adds the next or previous page numbers. The InDesign feature allows for example, if I have started an article on page 1 and it doesn't fit and I decided to continue it on, say, page 10 and (I may want to continue other articles on the same page so it is important to identify which article is which)  by typing Continued on page __  at the bottom of the page 1 item ID automatically analyses the thread and inserts 10. On page 10 each of the continuing articles will have Continued from page __  and ID will add the 1 or whatever page thread originated from.

In my testing the Publisher Next Page simply adds a 2 to the bottom of the page 1 item and 9 to the page 10 carry over text so literally the next page not the next continuing page or previous start page.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, jordan8201 said:

Was this feature ever added?

Yes, you can find Fields that will give you a reference to the page number of the next linked text frame, or the previous linked text frame.

Not sure at the moment if they're only in the Fields studio panel, it if they're also available via the the Text menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, you can find Fields that will give you a reference to the page number of the next linked text frame, or the previous linked text frame.

Not sure at the moment if they're only in the Fields studio panel, it if they're also available via the the Text menu.

When I choose Text>Insert>Fields>Next Frame Page Number, it inserts the next page number rather than the page number that the frame is continued on.

11 hours ago, jordan8201 said:

When I choose Text>Insert>Fields>Next Frame Page Number, it inserts the next page number rather than the page number that the frame is continued on.

Works fine for me. (By the way, I forgot in my earlier post to welcome you to the forums. So, welcome!)

Here's a sample file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tldqoa999ywj478/next-frame-page-number.afpub?dl=0

(I can't attach it here right now due to a forum attachment problem.)

If that doesn't help resolve the problem, can you provide a sample .afpub file for us to look at?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Works fine for me. (By the way, I forgot in my earlier post to welcome you to the forums. So, welcome!)

Here's a sample file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tldqoa999ywj478/next-frame-page-number.afpub?dl=0

(I can't attach it here right now due to a forum attachment problem.)

If that doesn't help resolve the problem, can you provide a sample .afpub file for us to look at?

Thanks for the welcome and the sample file. I see the issue now. Your "continued on page..." is inside the frame with the other text. I have mine in a separate text box on top of the other box (which is how I did it before with ID). I tried it your way and it worked. The problem I see is that I am going to have ot continue going back and moving the link if I add or edit text because it will move my "Continued on..." link around. Am I missing something? Or am I wrong?

Or, is there some way to anchor the text within the text box so that the rest of the text will flow around it? Thanks again for helping with this.

Edited by jordan8201

1 minute ago, jordan8201 said:

Thanks for the welcome and the sample file. I see the issue now. Your "continued on page..." is inside the frame with the other text. I have mine in a separate text box on top of the other box (which is how I did it before with ID). I tried it your way and it worked. The problem I see is that I am going to have ot continue going back and moving the link if I add or edit text because it will move my "Continued on..." link around. Am I missing something? Or am I wrong? Thanks again for helping with this.

Glad it helped :)

Your approach can work, but it takes a bit of work and practice. You will need two additional text frames, one for the "Continued on" and one for the "Continued from". You need to pin each in the appropriate place in the source and target text frames. Then you need to link the two new frames together.

If you need to do this often, you can create the two new text frames, pre-fill them with the "Continued..." text and the Fields, and make an Asset from them. Then when you need a new one, drag the Asset onto the source page and position/pin the first frame properly. Then drag the second frame where it needs to go and position/pin it.

I thought I had an example document showing this, but I can't find it. I can create another one later if this description isn't enough to get you going :)

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Glad it helped :)

Your approach can work, but it takes a bit of work and practice. You will need two additional text frames, one for the "Continued on" and one for the "Continued from". You need to pin each in the appropriate place in the source and target text frames. Then you need to link the two new frames together.

If you need to do this often, you can create the two new text frames, pre-fill them with the "Continued..." text and the Fields, and make an Asset from them. Then when you need a new one, drag the Asset onto the source page and position/pin the first frame properly. Then drag the second frame where it needs to go and position/pin it.

I thought I had an example document showing this, but I can't find it. I can create another one later if this description isn't enough to get you going :)

I’m brand new to Publisher, so I was not even familiar with Assets, so this will be a good learning experience for me. I know how to link text boxes across multiple pages, but I have not used linking in this way. I will study that and pinning today. I’ll report back if I can’t figure it out. Thank you!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

I was able to get get the 2 text frames linked together and working, but not the assets. Since the text frames are somtimes (but not always) pages apart, would that prevent me from being able to use them in the future? I tried selecting the "continued at" and "continued from" frames, then adding them as assets, but when I added that asset to another part of the document, it did not display properly.

58 minutes ago, jordan8201 said:

I was able to get get the 2 text frames linked together and working, but not the assets. Since the text frames are somtimes (but not always) pages apart, would that prevent me from being able to use them in the future? I tried selecting the "continued at" and "continued from" frames, then adding them as assets, but when I added that asset to another part of the document, it did not display properly.

You would create the Asset while the two frames are on the same page, and linked. You would then move the second frame to its proper page.

To use the Asset, drag it onto the page, then move the second one to the proper page.

I'll try to work up a sample file.

-- Walt
PC:

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You would create the Asset while the two frames are on the same page, and linked. You would then move the second frame to its proper page.

To use the Asset, drag it onto the page, then move the second one to the proper page.

I'll try to work up a sample file.

I appreciate it. I put them on the same page, selected them both (by holding shift and clicking both), then added as an asset. When I drag onto a new page, it's combining them both into a single frame and I can't get them separated.

1 hour ago, jordan8201 said:

added as an asset. When I drag onto a new page, it's combining them both

For me, it is adding them as two separate assets; dragging either onto the page is likely adding just that one, but both of them contain the text, so it may appear to have "joined" them as the text is not flowing into another frame?

I tried grouping them but they are coming into the page unlinked, even though the group is there with both frames intact.

It doesn't appear that this actually works right now.  Unclear if it is a bug or a missing feature?

13 hours ago, fde101 said:

It doesn't appear that this actually works right now.  Unclear if it is a bug or a missing feature?

Seeing something similar here on Mac OS 10.14.6 and now I have Publisher into a state where it is crashing when trying to show the Assets panel.

[heavy sigh emoticon] I vote for it being a bug, in my memory this used to work flawlessly.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 months later...

I have found a somewhat simpler solution. I created an asset which is a text box with BOTH the "continued on" and "continued from" lines. I add that asset at the bottom of the first frame of an article and shrink the box so that only the first line shows. I then create a link by dragging the overflow to the top of the next frame for the article and expand so that the second line of the asset shows. After that I insert the page numbers using the interactive insert fields command. I've attached a file where the technique is used.

August 2020.afpub

• 5 months later...

1. First, review the help page on creating assets. It appears you must create an asset in a subcategory, which means you must first go to the asset panel and create the subcategory.  (I think you might have to have a document open to do this, but I am not sure). I know you need to have a document open for the next steps.

2. In a document, create a text box. Set the frame, border, font, and other characteristics. Then insert in the text box "Continued on page " followed by at least one line of space and then "Continued from Page  ". When the text box is satisfactory, drag it to the asset subcategory you created in step 1.  On the assets panel click on panel preferences and select embed in current document to make sure the asset is available in future documents.

3. To use the asset, in a document, drag it from the asset panel to the bottom of the first text frame in a set of overflowing text frames. Then shrink the text box so that only the first line (continued on page) is visible. 

4. Using the overflow triangle (you may have to select the box and select zoom to selection to see the overflow triangle), click on the triangle and drag it to the top of the next frame in the set of overflowing frames. At this point you may have to adjust the size of each of the two frames occupied by the asset to make sure that everything displays properly. Sometimes I have had the frames act strangely and even, on occasion, the fonts have gotten messed up.

5. Once the two frames are adjusted to your liking, go to the first frame of the asset and after "page" insert a space an then using the text tab, select insert, select fields and select next frame page number. Move to the next frame in the asset and after "page" insert a space, and, using the text menu, select insert, select fields, and select previous frame page number.

Hope that helps.

I tried the Assets route but in common with lgoodwin I experienced problems with a change of font size on moving the asset into a document.

I found a better option was to create a template and include the complete "continued on page continued from page" frame in the template. When I need to use it I simply copy and move the frame to the appropriate places in the document. The issue with the overflow triangle remains a problem as the one line frame of each component needs to be expanded to be visible.

While I have found this to be the simplest solution for me it doesn't come anywhere near the ease and simplicity of the Indesign approach and I hope that this will be addressed in future updates to Publisher.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a discrepancy in the current on line help on this topic.

Under the heading Cross References there is a description of how to create the 'Continued on' and 'Continued from' cross references using the insert field command but the help text ends up with "These types of cross references are created in their own text frames, which can be manipulated just as for other text frames. Frame text can be selected, edited, and formatted as for any other text."

When I tried testing this I did not find the created cross reference was in its own text frame. Has the help file got ahead of the reality or am I missing something?