You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting a .afpub file with missing linked files generates too many warnings

I exported the attached .afpub file, which contains 2 missing linked files, to PDF (for export). After pressing Export, entering the file name, and pressing Save, I received 4 warning/error popups, 2 for each missing file.

(Also, note that the popups say the resource is Changed when actually it's missing as I moved and/or renamed them. In a way, it's correct that they "were changed outside the application", but missing seems like it should be a different and perhaps more severe situation. At the moment it doesn't seem to matter much, as even linked image remain embedded in the .afpub file, and export just fine. But that's a different issue :) )

missing-files.png.6cc57ef993258309eb7c83bded73f621.png

move-linked-test.afpub

[Edit: On the other hand, doing a Save As after opening that .afpub file, I get only 1 warning popup, for font.png, rather than the 2 popups I would expect.]

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, @Chris B.

File > Export and File > Save As are now consistent, in that they give only 1 message (saying that font.png was modified outside the application).

I still think there's an error, though, for 2 reasons:

1. Strictly speaking, while it may be true that it was "modified outside the application" it is in fact missing, which to me is both a different error and potentially a worse one.

2. Artboard2.png is also missing, but no message was given for that one. If Publisher is not going to name all the missing files, perhaps it could at least give a count? E.g., "font.png and 1 other file" or "font.png and 2 other files"? Or for simplicity "One or more linked files are missing. Please use the Resource Manager to locate them."

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.