You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confusing dialog when opening .afpub file with missing linked images

Using 1.7.0.58, if I open a .afpub file that contains linked (not embedded) images, but the original images have been moved or deleted, I am immediately presented with an explorer-style file dialog (or perhaps a series of dialogs) asking me to provide replacement images. It is, however, not immediately clear which image(s) I need to replace. It's true that the original file name is present in the File Name box of the dialog, but only part of it is visible, which is part of the confusion:
image.png.bc462db7f4cdd86576b61095c351f402.png

The full file name was E:\<my username>\Documents\affinity\temp\font.png, but the dialog was not even opened to that folder. (Of course, it's possible that the folder would also be missing, so maybe choosing the last-used folder as Publisher seems to have done is an acceptable choice.)

It would be less confusing, though, if Publisher brought up the Resource Manager dialog with the affected resources highlighted, and a message that they were missing and needed to be replaced, rather than suddenly throwing the user into a file dialog as it currently does. I'll attach the .afpub file to demonstrate this.

move-linked-test.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/10/2018 at 4:56 AM, Chris_K said:

This is something we have raised internally so hopefully we can come to a better solution for this

I see this has been improved in 1.7.0.128. Thanks!

However, I think it could still be made less confusing. I like the prompt, but if you agree to locate the missing resources, you're still thrown into a file explorer dialog.

Please consider simply opening the Resource Manager, instead. That way the user will feel more in control and can more easily see exactly what is missing and can work on them in an order they choose.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.