You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with holding shift for straight lines

When using a brush I have a issue when I click, hold shift and click again to create a straight line. For some reason the program dose not recognize the first click unless I click and move. Its super irritating as it makes being accurate very difficult. Is there a way to turn this off and allow just a single click, shift, click = straight line?

I've found this issue very annoying, it doesn't work correctly, I've tried several methods and it makes no sense at all, as far as I can see this is broken.

To test the craziness, create a document with a white background and show the grid, select the brush tool, works the same for the eraser too, click on a grid point (it doesn't matter whether snapping is on or off) now go to a different grid point and click with shift held down and watch the anti-magic work. 

Logically, you would think you'd end up with a black line between those two clicks but Affinity thinks otherwise.

First try
95046541_ScreenShot2018-09-09at09_34_22.png.458c41307a11a1f8ac28f379c92fd4dd.png

Second try
144492389_ScreenShot2018-09-09at09_35_02.png.48a925822952e46b52cf1fe89a96ea66.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the confirmation. I was now sure if I was just not getting something about the way the program works. I use this feature all the time in photoshop so I hope the affinity team will get a fix for this soon as I am excited about making the switch full time to affinity. 

-KC

I'll make a quick video but clicking once and then shift clicking should draw a line between those points but it doesn't work the way it should initially, then its starts to work until you click once and then shift click again but this time it continues from where it left off.2088905179_Notworking.thumb.gif.89b149b97735e756bf4b327af128fa74.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi. I am trying to find a solution to a problem linked to this issue....  When I first click with a basic brush, I get the full diameter mark.  When I then shift click elsewhere, the line produced between the two points is not of a constant thickness, but instead starts from the initial point one pixel thick and gets to full thickness at the second point, so I see big dot at the start followed by a straight line that os really thin and gets to full thickness at the end.

Been searching for a fix, but cannot see one.  I presume I'm doing a Homer, Doh!!!

BTW subsequent shift clicks on the same line are all the correct thickness.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 16.20.11.png

Edited by Artworkzzz