You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch processing in Affinity Photo?

Assuming you're not talking about a folder of RAW images:

1. File > New Batch Job...
  2. Select the files to process
  3. Select the output location
  4. Select your desired output formats, and for each, specify the dimenension(s) you want and whether to preserve aspect ratio
  5. Select some macros if you feel like it
  6. Click OK.

On the other hand, if you are talking about a folder of RAW images: Currently, if you use Affinity Photo Batch processing to convert RAW images to another format, only a subset of the usual Develop Persona processing is applied, and you may not like the results you'll get. You might need to experiment, and possibly do some additional macro processing to adjust the results to your satisfaction.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

The easiest way to reduce images, is to divide the resolution by 2 or 4.

w/2 or w/4

This will work correctly even if the image set has a various aspect ratio.

devide.png

6 hours ago, rudy serna said:

1126868586_ScreenShot2019-09-13at8_07_49PM.png.ff031c5ef366c6b760e9939c92d94f07.png

unable o initiate batch processing - OK button is grayed out

Strange... i have no idea why that is happening. Works fine here.

That said, Serif should definitely improve the batch processing. For example, i sorely miss a option to save the processed files with a file name extension like "IMG_3367_processed". That way, you could save into the same folder, without overwriting the existing files. I can also imagine that some generic auto corrections like sharpening, auto colour, or auto contrast could be added. Even Photoshop Elements has that.

7 hours ago, rudy serna said:

Have you tried pushing the Authorize button?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, chakko007 said:

I can also imagine that some generic auto corrections like sharpening, auto colour, or auto contrast could be added.

You can do that (& more) by applying macros you have created to the batch job.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Right, but, why not just implement those as factory defaults, instead of making the user do the job? My point was about comfort, as that's what makes a software... well... more comfortable.

Apart from that, i really don't see where APhoto should have some auto corrections like PS Elements has. Maybe i just don't know where to look.

30 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Apart from that, i really don't see where APhoto should have some auto corrections like PS Elements has. Maybe i just don't know where to look. 

The main Toolbar at the top of the screen has 4 icons/buttons for

Auto Levels
Auto Contrast
Auto Colours
Auto White Balance

You can record one or more of them in a macro and replay them in a batch job as required.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

55 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Right, but, why not just implement those as factory defaults, instead of making the user do the job?

Probably because users use batch jobs to do a lot of different things, & for many of them any generic auto corrections would be inappropriate or counter-productive. Among other things, keep in mind that the 4 auto corrections that @carl123 mentioned are destructive & even the order they are applied in (much less how much if any sharpening is applied & where it is done in the order) can produce different results.

With macros, you have much more control over this, for example by including a macro that duplicates the original photo layer for batch exports to formats that support layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1126868586_ScreenShot2019-09-13at8_07_49PM.png.ff031c5ef366c6b760e9939c92d94f07.png

OK -got it to work!  Applied AP update from Apple Store, selected Authorise (that I had previous done) and OK button was activated, set image size to 6" x 4" and they were resized..had to specify size in inches (") for it to work.  Thanks for your replies and help!!

9 minutes ago, rudy serna said:

P.S.  resized photos were all 72dpi!!!  Unable to find method to specify pixel resolution for printing

You can create a 1 line macro to change the DPI and run it when you run the batch job

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:47 PM, carl123 said:

The main Toolbar at the top of the screen has 4 icons/buttons for

Auto Levels
Auto Contrast
Auto Colours
Auto White Balance

You can record one or more of them in a macro and replay them in a batch job as required.

I'm ashamed now that i never noticed those... i expected auto-corrections to be in one of the menus, like they are in PS Elements. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Back to school for me now, and to see what i also missed in the software. :D

12 hours ago, chakko007 said:

i expected auto-corrections to be in one of the menus

autosettings.png

13 hours ago, chakko007 said:

i expected auto-corrections to be in one of the menus

42 minutes ago, carl123 said:

autosettings.png

To be fair, auto levels, contrast, colours and white balance are all adjustments rather than filters, so the Filters menu isn’t perhaps the most obvious place to look for them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)