You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Center Align tab immediately after bullet point

I have a bullet point list where each item starts with a number, followed by some text.

I want to achieve…

Bullet point > center aligned digits > left aligned text.

But can 't find a way to change the tab alignment of the tab placed after a bullet point.

Thanks for any pointers.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Don't you think there's  a bug?

Without bullets, we can set tab stops with types (… or - or _) and alignement.

But when we add bullets, it's adding a bullet-tab and the Tab Stops types don't work anymore (I need to add 2-3 tabs for the type "…" to appear when it should be applied to the 1st tab, supposedly the bullet-tab, or at least the first tab in the text).

The tabstop value of Tab Stops doesn't apply to the bullet-tab but to the second tab in my text

My text is <tab>1<tab>pomme<tab>a

With tab stops it's : ............1_________pomme---------a

With bullets + tab stops, it's: •1              pomme_____a
(no space between the bullet and "1")

With bullet + bullet-tab + tab stops, it's: •             1_____pomme-----a

The bullet-tab has only a "stop value", no style, and it's overriding the first tab stop type (…, ---, ___) and alignement.
The bullet tab Alignment isn't applied (always on left).

For now, untill this is sorted it would be simpler to type a bullet and only using Tab stops :S

The tabstop created by the bullet is always a simple left stop, and there's currently no way to change this or suppress it; the list temporarily overrides any other tabstops in the paragraph. I'll change it so that it will only be used if it is the "next" tabstop. Then you'll be able to set the bullet tabstop to 0 and add a normal centred tabstop to the paragraph, and the centred tabstop will be used.

Meanwhile a workaround is to add a centred tabstop to the paragraph, set the bullet tabstop to 0, and insert another tab at the start of the line with the bullet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

This should have been addressed in the 1.7.0.133 build . Please retest this to see if it suits your needs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This does work now in 133, if I follow Dave's advice to set the bullet tab stop to 0, then the next tab stop is correctly used.

Thanks.

But it seems somewhat counter-intuitive, and I can see it tripping up many new (and infrequent) users.

I would simply assume that the bullet tab would take on the characteristics of the first tab in the paragraph rather than have its own tab settings that have their own unusual limitations.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro