You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying attributes adjustments to other images

I was wondering if there is a special copy command on AP that allows us to copy all the different adjustments (and, I suppose, adjustments' & effects' layers too) from one photo that we've finished editing to others. On the Mac OS Photos app, when in the "edit" window of a photo, you can click CMD+SHIFT+C to copy all the attributes/edits you've made to one photo, and when you open the next photos (in the "edit" window, again) you click CMD+SHIFT+V to paste the attributes/edits to the current photo. 

That, obviously, saves a great amount of time (rather than to have to do everything again from scratch for each and every similar photo you want to edit), and when you're done pasting the same attributes to each that needs similar tweaking with the first, source, photo - you can then modify the attribute changes for each photo as needed for each in specific (but the all the starting tweaking is out of the way instantly with the attribute-pasting). 

Is there such a command in AP? 

• Staff

Hi Henryb,

You could copy all of your adjustment layers then paste them into your newly opened image document and this will apply them. Alternatively CMD +Shift + V will paste layer effects from one layer to another.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Isn't there something simpler/faster within AP instead of grouping layers etc etc and then copying the layers onto the next photo? Meaning a simple command that will just copy everything I've "done" to the source photo onto the target photos?

In screenshot 2 you'll see the simple command of copying and pasting adjustments from one photo to another in the - much more basic than AP - Photos Mac app, that I had in mind.

In screenshot 1 you'll see the option that you have for pasting adjustments from one video part (or even an image) in Final Cut Pro. In this app you just press CMD+C to copy, and then when you are about to paste, it gives you a checkbox so you can choose what adjustments you want to paste. 

Is there nothing like this in AP? (I mean sometimes I'll make adjustments on layers, sometimes on the base-background image itself). So, I couldn't use layers to copy all these adjustments, onwards to SCORES of similar photos I want to edit really fast - right?

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 07.36.54.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 07.20.56.png

So what you're saying, essentially, is that for editing a batch of (many) photos, that I want to apply the same adjustments to, I either have to do this one-by-one from scratch - for each and every one; or otherwise make a group layer that contains all the layers I want to apply to the batch, to the first photo, and then copy this group layer to each photo in the batch? :( 

If that's really the only option we have in AP, can you please link any relevant video (or screenshots) of the steps that shows how to group adjustment layers with each other, and how to copy this group onto another photo?

36 minutes ago, henryb said:

right?

layers.jpg.8b0b1d6c36d5d0414fd6dee89d350b39.jpg

See the adjustment layers. Press Control and click on them, one by one.

selected.jpg.e8d3a9de299a18d71a0420cc765f58b2.jpg

Note: you must click on the layer name, not the layer thumbnail, (that does something else).

Press Ctrl + G to group.

group.jpg.9461053373fcec22c36e506fa9bc7f7e.jpg

Press Ctrl+ C to copy

Press Ctrl + V to paste in to the destination documents.

Sorted :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

layers.jpg.8b0b1d6c36d5d0414fd6dee89d350b39.jpg

See the adjustment layers. Press Control and click on them, one by one.

selected.jpg.e8d3a9de299a18d71a0420cc765f58b2.jpg

Note: you must click on the layer name, not the layer thumbnail, (that does something else).

Press Ctrl + G to group.

group.jpg.9461053373fcec22c36e506fa9bc7f7e.jpg

Press Ctrl+ C to copy

Press Ctrl + V to paste in to the destination documents.

Sorted :)

I love you dude! <3 <3 :P :P 

• 2 years later...
48 minutes ago, AlexW said:

Thanks to other contributors to this important discussion. 1) Apart from the copy-paste trick, is there a way to now save the attributes? 2) If they are grouped, for example, can the group be recalled when needed? Thanks

1. Create a document. Paste the group into it. Save. If needed later, open the document, select, Copy, and Paste where you need it.
    or
  2. Add the grouped adjustments to the Assets panel. Later, drag them from the panel onto another document. Note: You may need to ungroup the adjustments group in the new document, and perhaps show/hide the adjustment layers to have them take visible effect.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Excellent. I often need presentation slides which fade to transparent, in order to leave a space for adding text (e.g. the right-hand side of the attached image). I have now been able to add the settings for this effect as a Group in the Assets panel as suggested. It works like a dream. Many thanks Walt!

Untitled.jpg

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

Can i just say that i came from Adobe photoshop on the basis that Affinity is better and now i find i cant just click on the image in Affinity before devolping. I was able justn to simply copy comnd c on the photo in lightroom online version then i was able to just click comand V to paste it onto the next photo and keep on doing it untill all my photos in that batch were finished.

I'm a tad disapointed that something as basic as this has not been applied here as an option.

Edited by SSLMacrophotography