You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

possible bug in INITIAL WORDS controls

Apparent bug(s) in Paragraph>Initial Words control panel.

1. Select Enabled. Set Max word count. Select Emphasis – italic is displayed

2. Select Enabled. Set Max word count. Select Strong Emphasis – bold italic is displayed

Possible culprit/solution: In the Text Styles control panel, Emphasis and Strong Emphasis items are captioned in italics (plain and bold respectively).

MacOS 10.14.5  –  MBP   –  16Gb DDR  –  500Gb Crucial SSD

Affinity Publisher (beta)   Affinity Designer   Affinity Photo

Um, I think is working as intended. The default Emphasis style makes the font italic. Strong makes it bold, and Strong Emphasis makes it bold italic. That is reflected in the Text Styles panel if the Show Samples option is enabled. If you want to emphasis a different way, you can change the style.

Yes thanks, Dave, think you're right. I guess the default is not terribly logical as I don't think many editors would consider italics as their first-stop choice of typographical Emphasis. Plus, as perhaps shown by this discussion, it's quite fiddly here in AffPubl to a) find where to make this change and b) be bothered to mess around with it, anyway. For all the promise I feel AffPubl has, in some parts it's rather like my present VW: over-engineered, or solutions looking for problems. 

MacOS 10.14.5  –  MBP   –  16Gb DDR  –  500Gb Crucial SSD

Affinity Publisher (beta)   Affinity Designer   Affinity Photo

3 hours ago, Seadog said:

For all the promise I feel AffPubl has, in some parts it's rather like my present VW: over-engineered, or solutions looking for problems.

You lost me here. o.O

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.