You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CTRL + Click issue

Hi! I'm running Win 10 with the latest beta of publisher. I'm trying to create a new master page and attempted to copy a block of text as I would in Designer using CTRL + Left click. In Designer, I can lift off of CTRL before releasing the mouse button and the copied text follows the cursor (and is placed when I release the mouse button). In Publisher, when I let up on CTRL, I am suddenly *moving* the original text.

2 hours ago, A_B_C said:

(This report should probably be moved to the Windows section.) :)

I have noticed quite a few posts about Windows bugs here, in the 'on Mac' bug report section. I am not sure why. Is it maybe because the Mac one is listed before the Windows one in the 'parent' Affinity Publisher Beta Forums section?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

59 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@ckujawa   Although ctrl+drag works in ADesigner and not in APublisher, alt+drag works in both

Alt-drag overrides snapping, so we need to be able to use Ctrl-drag instead. And both methods should work consistently across all apps in the Affinity suite.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This looks like it might be a general 1.7 change so I image it will be the same when designer rolls around.  pressing ctrl again after you let go will go back to copying the object rather than moving it. Tbh I'm not sure if this is an intentional change or an oversight of a tool rework yet

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Having tested this on both Designer/Mac and v58 of Publisher/Mac, I must say Publisher does it absolutely right (although I think not all of the time - maybe a bug...)

The modifier key should not have to be pressed when you start dragging. So while "normal-dragging" I can decide which key I want to add to achieve my goal!

Example (Pub1.7mac):

• click on rectangle,
  • drag-start to approximate destination, hold mousebutton down,
  • press and hold shift and than command-key.
  • release mousebutton
  • -> made 45degree copy aligned on other object.

Designer 1.6 does not recognize if I press command to make a duplicate AFTER starting to drag, which is bad.

edit: but I'm sorry if I confuse @ckujawa (on windows) with my Mac Command-Key, as this was obviously a Win-thread, wrongly posted in Mac. Yet the new behaviour should still be consistent across systems.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.