You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spellcheck?

Also working fine for me (beta 1.0.7.58, High Sierra, & US English text).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm struggling to reproduce this on build 1.7.0.133.

Has build 133 been released?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Has build 133 been released?

Not to us :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Natalie V,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you have the caret (cursor) inside the text frame of just the text frame selected (no caret inside)? What tool do you have selected when you right-click the text?

It will not work with the Move Tool selected unless you double-click the word first changing it to one of the text tools depending on the type of the frame. If you right-click with one of the text tools selected it should display the correct contextual menu with the options you are looking for.

I think there is some confusion about the Spelling feature in Publisher. At least I was confused at first. When using 'Check Spelling' Publisher will look for the next word with an error and highlight it. Indeed it is strange that there are no options there to do anything other than correcting the mistake. If it is not a mistake, you have no option to add it to a dictionary.

People who expect this behaviour should use the 'Spelling Options' feature. That's the dialog most editors will want to use to spellcheck their story. Here you do have options to ignore or learn mistakes. This option has a shortcut key, because it is the most likely tool to do spellchecking.

Using better labels could solve the confusion I guess, something like this:

Spelling Options => Spellcheck (or Check spelling with options)

Check Spelling => Find next spelling error

I think you left out the third possibility, Wim.

If you have Publisher checking spelling as you type, then it will provide a red underline on a misspelled word to highlight it. If you right-click on such a word, and Publisher has suggestions for as different spelling, you can choose one, or tell Publisher to ignore the misspelling, or to learn the word and add to the dictionary.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, micornelius said:

I'm using release 257 in windows - when I right click on an underlined word nothing happens. No suggestions, no dialogue - what am I doing wrong please. Is there something which needs to be set up?

What is your UI language, and what spell-checking language do you have specified for that text?

Can you provide a screenshot?

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Have English United Kingdom in all three locations, screen shots below. I notice that on the UI screen there was an asterisk requesting a restart to apply. I have 1) restarted Publisher no change, 2) changed to English US and then back again with restarts following each and a complete reboot of my pc. On doing letter discovered windows lurking is background with an update thus delay in getting back to you.

It seems the restart asterisk doesn't go away after a restart.

Thanks

Michael

2019-03-13 (3).jpg

2019-03-13 (1).jpg

2019-03-13 (2).jpg

7 minutes ago, micornelius said:

It seems the restart asterisk doesn't go away after a restart.

The “restart asterisk” is a footnote indicator linked to the asterisk against the label for the ‘Language’ dropdown list, to tell you that a change of UI language requires a restart.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, micornelius said:

It doesn't go away

What I was trying to say is that we shouldn’t expect it to go away, since it’s always the case that a change of UI language requires a restart.

Perhaps it would help if you were to supply the information that Walt asked for:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 3/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, micornelius said:

But I did above 25 mins ago. I uploaded three images showing the language setup as requested by Walt.

You showed us the settings for the paragraph style named Para, but you did not show us anything that demonstrates that that style is applied to your text. The only screenshot that showed your text (with red underlines) with the Context toolbar visible seems to show that there is no paragraph style applied.

Can you provide a sample .afpub file that has the problem?

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt,

Many thanks for coming back to me. I manged to resolve the matter. The Word file I was copying and pasting from was set up with both English and USA dictionaries - with USA as the primary. Thus it seems it was conflicting with Publisher UK. So I stripped the USA dictionary from Word and everything started working after I cut ans pasted to a fresh Publisher file.

Again thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Michael

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, km.au said:

How is spelling supposed to work?

Usually in programs, it's underlined in red but nothing ever happens in Publisher?

You specify the spelling language in the Language field of the Character panel (or in the corresponding fields in the Character or Paragraph Text Style you've applied to the text. What language have you specified, or what language has it defaulted to?

And what language have you specified for the UI in Preferences, General?

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.