You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Organising content in Publisher

I produce newsletters and flyers where I am generally both the text editor and the layout creator, as well as the designer of simple graphics. So I use the DTP programme as a way of bringing together content - text, pictures, graphics etc. This makes it important to have an effective filing system for those elements, particularly if you periodically re-use them. In Affinity Publisher, I see a panel marked "Assets" but it appears to be prepopulated with stuff that may be familiar to Mac users but baffles me.

I appreciate Affinity Publisher is only a beta, but what are the plans for storage and retrieval of such content?

On a related matter, it took me some time to get the text frames/flow model. It's growing on me, but my first impression was "this is a layout artist's mind-set, rather than a content-originater's".  So, for instance, there appears to be no equivalent of WritePlus in which you can actually edit the text. Am I right, or is it just hidden under another name?

2 hours ago, Paul Martin said:

in which you can actually edit the text. Am I right, or is it just hidden under another name?

Do you mean a special window, where you have all the text of your document visible as plain text? It's there in Indesign - I don't use it much.

In Affinity I don't think there is.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Well, i have to say, I love editing the text on-place and in context. And my publications are mostly not more than 20 to 32 pages brochures. (Which doesn’t mean I don‘t use complex typography and style hierarchy and all. Even GREP-styles... :27_sunglasses:)

Interestingly my clients are so old-school that they print out the pdf, write their changes per hand and send the scan back to me :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: which is ok for me.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);