You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap Settings

Thanks Serif for beta update. Looking even more brilliant.

Can anyone answer another thing I have found though? Is there a way to set Text Wrap Settings so that it only manipulates text lower than itself? At the moment, no matter how low an image or object is in Layers, it still effects any text near it (low and high in layers). I would like to place text I don't want effected by Text Wrap higher than the Text Wrapped object.

Thanks
Andy

I don't think I understand what you mean. Which Text Wrap Settings do you want to act differently?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I might be wrong, but I think Abfdesign is trying to isolate the text and have only the lower half in the frame wrap around an object/picture but keep the upper half unwrapped. If this is the case, why not just have two text frames linking to each other and have the bottom one be the one that's wrapping?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

47 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I might be wrong, but I think Abfdesign is trying to isolate the text and have only the lower half in the frame wrap around an object/picture but keep the upper half unwrapped. If this is the case, why not just have two text frames linking to each other and have the bottom one be the one that's wrapping?

Bri-Toon - I think you're closest. I just meant I wanted the freedom to make sure that a text box I didn't want to be wrapped, not wrapped! But it seems that any text on that page is wrapped no matter what level it is in the layer. In my Old QX 2015, if a text layer was above something with wrap, it wasn't wrapped. Get me?

It's not a mega problem, but it just didn't give me the flexibility I required. 

Andy

9 minutes ago, haakoo said:

You can't use a second textframe because the wrapping isn't a text feature but a feature to the transparent part of an object or image.
In XaraDesignerPro the text that is higher in the hierarchy to the wrapping-object is not wrapped only the lower in hierarchy is.
In afPub the hierarchy isn't met so all textframes inside the transparent parts of the object or image gets wrapped

Thanks. No worries. Just thought I'd mention it. I got around it, but it just wasn't as flexible as I would have liked. I'm loving Affinity Publisher no matter what anyone else says. 

Andy

I'm afraid I still don't understand when the problem occurs. Can you provide a sample .afpub file, Andy?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, abfdesign said:

I would like to place text I don't want effected by Text Wrap higher than the Text Wrapped object.

As I see it, Publisher does not do it the way Indesign and XPress do it.

But thankfully there is this option in the Text Frame palette called "Ignore Text Wraps" which you can activate on this frame you don't want to get wrapped.

1541606043_Bildschirmfoto2018-09-08um00_14_24.png.26f95238409bfa760b648e08cf4993ed.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

11 hours ago, woefi said:

As I see it, Publisher does not do it the way Indesign and XPress do it.

But thankfully there is this option in the Text Frame palette called "Ignore Text Wraps" which you can activate on this frame you don't want to get wrapped.

1541606043_Bildschirmfoto2018-09-08um00_14_24.png.26f95238409bfa760b648e08cf4993ed.png

woefi  -  Perfect, thanks. This is exactly what I meant. I hadn't seen that bit in Text Frame palette. I shall try looking harder next time. 

Thanks again
Andy

Hi people, thank you all for showing me something I haven't had the time to try out. Real cool feature.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, woefi said:

This is an essential tool, for instance, for appending captions to photos!

22 minutes ago, Jemez said:

This is an essential tool, for instance, for appending captions to photos!

To append a caption to a photo, place the photo, draw a Text Frame under it, supply the text, and in the Layers panel group the photo and the Text Frame.

-- Walt
PC: