You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear developer,

I installed HunSpell hungarian dictionaries with hyphenation. I checked auto hyphenation, but many place is buggy. See my attachments, these wrongs on one page, and I have many pages.

Good hyphenation: 

• Üd-vöz-lé-sem
  • Ész-re-vet-tem
  • nő-vé-re-met

Can check good hungarian hyphenation here (Hungarian scientific Academy site): https://helyesiras.mta.hu/helyesiras/default/hyph

I use version 58 now.

Please fix hyphenation, because this useless now. :( 

Hyphenation 3.jpg

I wonder, though, whether the issue is with the hyphenation dictionary you installed, or with the hyphenation code in Publisher.

Have you tried using those dictionaries with, say, LibreOffice, to see if it has the same issue?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I used same library under PagePlus, but there was no problem, just with hungarian special characters (öüóőúéáí) where need hyphenation. There was a bugtgy, but only there, not other. With consonant was no problem...  But here is problem... I no use LibreOffice. Hyphenation library was no updated from 7 yers ago, but worked in PagePlus. Maybee need a little bug hunting in Publisher for HunSpell compatibility.

Update: I installed a Libre Office, and setup document to auto hyphenation, and I see absolutely correct hyphenation (parameters same as in Publisher). See my screenshot.

Hyphenation 4 LibreOffice1.jpg

Good. That may help Serif debug the issue.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

As there was no mention in the change log of fixing hyphenation, I would not expect it to work any differently in .128 than it did in the earlier betas.

-- Walt
PC:

I'm sad. :( 

Installed version 139, and I see hyphenation has changed, but no correct yet :( I signed what's wrong:

• Üd-vöz-lé-sem
  • ta-nu-lás-sal
  • Ész-re-vet-tem
  • cso-dás-nak

Please check hyphenation more, why not working correctly. 

Hyphenation 5.jpg

Here is my sample text (hmmm... clipboard not remembered what is paragraph or not?):

Mindenki nagyon kedvesen fogadott minket. Rokonok sorakoztak, méregettek, s én illedelmesen, lesütött szemmel pukedliztem. Bemutatták a nagybátyámat, anya öccsét, aki sötét hajú, szép szál ember volt. Rövidre nyírt bajsza felett mélyen ülő szemei azonnal megfogták a tekintetem. Hű de jól nézett ki! Hogy csillogott a szeme! Határozott arcéle és széles válla kiemelte a jelenlévők közül. Üdvözlésem közben arra gondoltam, hogy ez a férfi a rokonom? Úgy nézett rám, mintha csodát látna. Meg is jegyezte: "Csudaszép a leányod, Edit!". Fesztelenül, szemtelenül bámult rám. Beköltözés, elhelyezkedés, sok unalmas dolog következett, ami engem nem érdekelt. Figyeltem. Figyeltem az embereket, de főleg anyám öccsét. Lesütött pilláim alól sokszor láttam, hogy nézett rám, vagy csak rajtam felejtette a szemét. Néha, ha tüntetően ránéztem, csak mosolygott, majd kacsintott a szemével. Furcsák voltak a reakciói, és ez megnevettetett. Szebbé tette a napjaimat, melyek tanulással, és Irén könyörtelen nógatásával teltek el. Néha megszabadított a délutáni leckék elől, sétára invitált, mondván megmutatja a birtokot, hiszen ez már az enyém is. Ezekben az órákban valami különös fény csillant a szemében. Észrevettem, hogy tetszem anyám testvérének. Mykee Az első napokban igyekeztünk összeismerkedni az újdonsült családtagokkal. Furcsa volt a nővéremet ismét a birtokon látni, akivel estékbe menően beszélgettünk a külföldi országokról, a csodásnak tűnő városokról, a fényes estékről. Minden szó kincsként hullt alá, mint egy-egy mag, ami 

Attached hyphenation test project, and here is my page parameters:

- bleed: 0

- facing pages

- A4 paper

- margins: inner/top/outer: 25mm, bottom: 30mm

- hyphenation settings here:

195414764_Hyphenation5settings.jpg.3c691821686315f46cbdc1ad280a87a9.jpg

hyphenation test.afpub

Edit: I found the below example in .133. I need to check it with the newest build.

Edit 2: Seems the problem described below is fixed in .137. Well done, Affinity Team!

The same with polish (dictionary downloaded from Thunderbird webpage). Word "święty" is hyphenated as "świ-ęty'; should be "świę-ty".

Looks like (some?) letters with diacritics are problematic for the hyphenation engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

@mykee could you help me what to install, how to install the Hunspell dictionary? I'm running circles on github, but I'm not familiar what to look for... all the other languages contain a single .dic file in the Resources folder, shouldn't I get that somehow? thanks!

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

@furtonb I installed my dictionaries with these steps:

@mykee thanks! I went through the steps, copied these files (I'm on a Mac usually, file paths differ a bit):

image.thumb.png.a659051197a2a43d5b939ddae908a70b.png

still, I don't have an option for Hungarian under the Language tab /spelling, hyphenation etc. 

Could you upload the files that are working for you?

Many thanks!

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

4 hours ago, SirPL said:

You can find the correct folder location In Publisher's Edit > Preferences > Tools > Browse... in the 'Additional dictionary folder' section

I recall reading in the forums that Mac preferences don't have that option, so that might not help @furtonb, who seems to be a Mac user asking in a Windows forum :)

-- Walt
PC:

There's also buggy hyphenation for Catalan. Specifically, the combination «l·l» is not divided correctly. If you look at the image below, you'll see that Publisher brokes the word «instal·laria» like “insta- l·laria” while the correct hyphenation would be “instal- laria”: the middle dot is replaced by a hyphen.

rc.thumb.png.c1ddeea83fd96be268b599a786af953b.png

Here's a screenshot of the concerning rules in the hyphen_ca.dic, that works as expected in InDesign but not in Publisher. I think this is probably a bug concerning the layout engine. 

hunspell.png.2409d64c5a008078578c27e66b949381.png

I hope it will be solved soon.

4 hours ago, Guillem S. said:

There's also buggy hyphenation for Catalan. Specifically, the combination «l·l» is not divided correctly. If you look at the image below, you'll see that Publisher brokes the word «instal·laria» like “insta- l·laria” while the correct hyphenation would be “instal- laria”: the middle dot is replaced by a hyphen.

rc.thumb.png.c1ddeea83fd96be268b599a786af953b.png

Here's a screenshot of the concerning rules in the hyphen_ca.dic, that works as expected in InDesign but not in Publisher. I think this is probably a bug concerning the layout engine. 

hunspell.png.2409d64c5a008078578c27e66b949381.png

I hope it will be solved soon.

You will have a better chance of it being fixed if you post a separate topic in the new forum: Publisher Bugs Found On Windows

That will allow Serif to track it properly, rather than depending on them finding this post as part of an older topic, in the wrong forum :)

-- Walt
PC:

On 6/24/2019 at 4:12 AM, walt.farrell said:

You will have a better chance of it being fixed if you post a separate topic in the new forum: Publisher Bugs Found On Windows

That will allow Serif to track it properly, rather than depending on them finding this post as part of an older topic, in the wrong forum :)

You're right, Walt, thank you for the advice! 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.