You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for the new Canon EOS R mirrorless and the new RF lenses?

Hello everyone. This is my first Affinity Forums post and I'm excited to be a part of the community...

I'm wondering if there is an ETA as to when Affinity Photo (both Desktop and iPad versions) will support the RAW format for the newly announced Canon EOS R mirrorless camera? Yesterday's announcement from Canon has many people excited for the new R system (including me!) and I'd love to easily bring this new camera and lenses into my workflow with Affinity Photo.

Also, will there be lens correction available for the new RF series lenses? These lenses look to be quite impressive from an optical quality perspective, but support for them would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any information you could provide on this. 

• Staff

Hi Lance_G,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are continuously adding support for new cameras (usual on .x updates to the app) but there's no ETA for any specific camera. Affinity Photo 1.7 which will enter in Beta soon should add a few more but I can't guarantee the new Canon EOS R will be among them. If you are using a Mac it's also possible Apple adds support for it before us (you can switch between our own and Apple's RAW engine in Affinity Photo) so hopefully it's just a question of time until we get there. Similar situation for the lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 2:15 AM, MEB said:

Hi Lance_G,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are continuously adding support for new cameras (usual on .x updates to the app) but there's no ETA for any specific camera. Affinity Photo 1.7 which will enter in Beta soon should add a few more but I can't guarantee the new Canon EOS R will be among them. If you are using a Mac it's also possible Apple adds support for it before us (you can switch between our own and Apple's RAW engine in Affinity Photo) so hopefully it's just a question of time until we get there. Similar situation for the lenses.

It is becoming quite important as CR3 and C-RAW were released on 26 February this year and we still haven't seen support on Windows. I know that we can use either TIFFs generated from DPP or DNGs generated by Adobe DNG converter but it is a tedious process with TIFF images, although good quality, take a while to produce and the DNG processing seems to flatten the shadows and also create a 6012 x 4008 image adding in the camera cropped pixels.

Also hoping it will happen soon ...

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 12:00 AM, AiDon said:

It is becoming quite important as CR3 and C-RAW were released on 26 February this year and we still haven't seen support on Windows. I know that we can use either TIFFs generated from DPP or DNGs generated by Adobe DNG converter but it is a tedious process with TIFF images, although good quality, take a while to produce and the DNG processing seems to flatten the shadows and also create a 6012 x 4008 image adding in the camera cropped pixels.

Also hoping it will happen soon ...

Any ideas how to convert this for/on an iPad without carrying a notebook as well? Otherwise Affinity Photo for iPad is kind of useless for me atm.

In the interim you could use DPP for iOS ...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/canon-dpp-express/id1315877685?mt=8

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• 1 month later...

There is a new RAW Image Extension for Windows 10 that adds "native viewing support for images captured in raw file formats produced by many mid- to high-end digital cameras".

Apparently however, CR3 is not among them, also you have to have Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version number 1903), to be able to install the extension. :(

The package was developed by "libraw" open source project.  Link: https://www.libraw.org/supported-cameras to view current list.

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro