You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Operations, Liquid Layout and more !

Hello !
Well i've tried Publisher for days now and it's simply okay, but i don't think we are conscious of what APub is really so we are trying to make it be the other one most of us say they hate :ph34r: !
My turn to propose few stuffs now :D

a- Table Text tool: this tool is great, i believe Serif can make it able to process small operations and equations such SUM, DATE etc... only basic one, then for more complex stuffs, develop a way for this tool to be connected to an external source of data such as Numbers, Excel or Calc. direct connection using the link functionality will help minimize calculation error or copy-errors that often occurs when pasting table datas into another software.

b- Liquid Pages or Alternate Layout: Well this one is cool but i would propose Serif to make it possible for users to have different page sizes in one document, an example here please: i should be able to design a full set of ads for my client in one document project not being forced to create A4 only then open another one and create 472*246 etc... with APub i should be able to design my master page and make the content of it flow and be rescaled (when applied) to a different page size i would create; on my workflow master serve as low level work composition (background i would say) and all other things are put on the top and the link function is very helpful here making it possible for me to organize my project in better way.

c- Import content from other sources: Here it's simple, APub should be able to import text content (with and without formatting and structure) from major word processors like OpenOffice.Org, LibreOffice, Microsoft Word, Pages just to list those ... not only that but also make copy-paste from website something that work, making this possible will help or enable (take it as you want) young Book Editors who can't afford pricy softwares available on the market to find their way on the market with APub and deliver great and nice books, their inputs will also help you guys (Serif) to make the software even better.

Well, this quick list is not the finished proposition i have for APub but i will stop here and see how things will progress then bring other propositions on the table.

Thank you guys for this good and great piece of software.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

You can have different page sizes in one document. Create a new page, then spread properties. dimensions & scaling. But liquid pages etc are more of a future Designer feature I would guess.

Nice to read and good to discover, thank you @MickRose 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• 2 years later...

I totally agree about the requirment for - Liquid Pages or Alternate Layout:

For professionals this is a must have, as we want to be efficient with our time. I want to be able to type text into one layout and have it propogate across multiple layouts. And the same for images.

Adobe has the 'Alternative Layout' which does this. To see it in Affinity Publisher would be great; and put Publisher in a different light for me.

Stephen

Not an objection, but an observation.  Alternate layouts (single text flow in multiple sets of linked text frames) would be alot easier if text content could be linked (rather than embedded) in text frames.  This would also facilitate the use of an external content management system (database, full-featured field merge, plain old text editor) to manage the keystrokes and let AffPub manage the layout.