You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Thank you for your great work with publisher! It is surely on the top of my list for the most wanted programs in the last few years.

I've been reviewing some pdf files of projects I have done in indesign. The import is not perfect but one thing stroke my eye more than the rest. Forms, in my case circles and rectangles, with dashed strokes and no fill are imported as separate lines. This led me to try to replace these forms with publisher native forms. Doing this I noticed that it is pretty hard to ensure that the strokes and the spaces are all equal. There is always either a space or a stroke that is larger then the others, and this doesn't look good. This happens because the program (I latter went to check if affinity designer also does the same, and it does) takes the starting point of the closed shape and divides the lines into the dimensions that are set under dash on stroke panel. Phase allows the shifting of the starting point, but doesn't solve the problem. To have it equally divided (spaces and dashes) it is a hit and miss affair. It requires playing with the size of the stroke and space and the scale of the object. The problem then becomes impossible when you have predefined sizes for the shape. You have to start playing with decimal cases to have an equal division. I understand this a small problem, but for me is a very common one and it has an equally simple solution, actually two:

Solution 1: Have proportional divisions (1:1, 1:2, 2:3, 2:5) besides the existing ones. The user would introduce a number of divisions (the number of parts the polygon boundary line is divided into) and then a set of proportions ( 2(line): 1(space):...) in the existing fields of dash.

Solution 2: Have a tick box that would scale the introduced dimensions to the interval of closed polygon line. Then the introduced sizes wouldn't match with the real values, but since it is an option there is no problem...

Best regards,

circles.afpub