You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe migration

I've been a long time Adobe user – by necessity rather than by loyalty to Adobe – and I feel it's great to have a new software publisher on the market to disrupt established ones. I'd be more than happy to jump ship, I love so far what Affinity has created (the naming of the latest addition aside).

I've been trying to figure out, what would it mean in practical terms if I ditched CC? I get a new client, easy, I can create from scratch, the learning curve is not too steep. So, what about all the existing clients and the countless ind. documents that I use as a template basis for the next report, brochure etc. update? These would have to be re-created from scratch in Publisher, a time-consuming and not very profitable solution.

Unless Affinity can provide rock-solid migration/conversion tools, I can't see myself jumping ship in the near future. 

I remember the transition form Corel Publisher to Quark to InDesign 

You ran parallel with the other software until everything had moved over. 

I'd keep exisiting clients work in their natively created app. But you could create new items in the new apps. 

Slowly transition - I think it took about 2 years the last time. But everyone was moving to Adobe at that time, as Illustrator and Photoshop was mainstream - it made sense to use InDeisgn. 

I don't know if Affinity are mainstream enough yet - but they are making huge waves - and this software is amazing - I wouldn't be suprised if many are looking at ditching the subscription model in favour of Affinity! 

Thanks for your feedback, I had a similar route: Aldus Pagemaker > Quark > InDesign

I actually had 2 machines one running Quark and one for InDesign! Very effective (just to be on the safe side) but I can't see adopting the same solution again.

It would make such a difference with a conversion tool (MarkZware are you listening? :)

• Staff

Hi Dids,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's plans to add support for InDesign IDML files later in a future update. Currently the best option is to export as PDF and import in Publisher. It's not an ideal solution but this is just the first release. Hopefully things will get easier as the development moves forward.

I have a lot of files created in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. I brought them over to CorelDraw. Illustrator AI files being pretty effortless, the InDesign files were saved as PDF's. The corelDraw files I created were also saved as PDF's as well as native CDR files. Now converting them to Affinity Designer files as Designer makesa very good job in converting PDF's. Will also use Affinity Publisher in due course. So perhaps the moral is to save as a universal PDF allowing forward transition.

MEB,

22 hours ago, MEB said:

There's plans to add support for InDesign IDML files later in a future update. 

Don't you think this should have been top of the list rather than an after-thought? Surely early adoption and conversion of many Id users would help Affinity: the more people buy the software the more resources there is to invest in development. Hopefully that feature will be coming in a near-future rather than a sometime-in-the-future.