You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No master info which page belongs to

20 hours ago, stmartin said:

But in some places you can clearly see that they did not fully understand the needs of DTP.

I don't think your conjecture here is true. The guys have had a Publishing Program called PagePlus for more than 20 years, so they know a thing or two about publishing.
I think they are trying to implement something better. But this is a trial and error process, so expect things to change while we are in beta.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

As I recall, one advantage of Publisher multiple masters is that it gives you more flexibility over z-order. You can have some master page elements behind the main page content, and other master page elements in front.

No, not really. The below is from QXP. There are both a magenta & yellow rectangles on different layers on the master page, and some text on the document's first page. Both the magenta rectangle and the text is on layer one, the yellow rectangle is on layer two.

capture-002209.png.7c06fb034934e9ead4bcc1688bff79d0.png

In any case, I think the topic of the thread is an important one. That is, readily identifying what master(s) are applied to any given page at a glance. No moving the mouse and hovering, etc.

Thanks, Mike

3 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

As I recall, one advantage of Publisher multiple masters is that it gives you more flexibility over z-order. You can have some master page elements behind the main page content, and other master page elements in front.

This is indeed possible, Mike. I think Dave had the following setup in mind. :)

Multiple-Master-Pages.png.c34f5d837e48fe77296a52e5923d7200.png

46 minutes ago, Luyanne said:

Ever so slightly off topic, is there anyway that you can apply a master to a section of pages (simply because it saves time in setup, and there is a certain format that you want to use on all of them), and then go and edit the elements - in this case the text - without it changing the master page?

Try this

Create the Master page
1) Select pages in Pages panel (use shift click/ctrl click)
2) Right click Apply Master, specified pages  (or don't select the pages, just right click, apply master & choose the pages)
3) On the relevant pages  open the Layers tab and click the item you want to edit within the master layer. Use the Symbols panel and press detach.
4) Item should be editable

I'm not sure if the software is designed like this so master pages elements can be edited on the page or whether it just works.

Let me know if this works.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Hi Mick,

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but can't seem to find the symbols panel.

The PDF that I attached, has screenshots of my issue in progress. When I select "Release" for an item, it removes it from the Master Page, and only makes it available on that spread. Unfortunately, you can't select the spreads, and release them all at once.

22 hours ago, Seneca said:

I don't think your conjecture here is true. The guys have had a Publishing Program called PagePlus for more than 20 years, so they know a thing or two about publishing.
I think they are trying to implement something better. But this is a trial and error process, so expect things to change while we are in beta.

Don't geht me wrong, I am really excited about the apps from Serif. And I think they are already awesome – including this beta. 
But some answers to mandatory requests in this forums are a bit odd:

I just hope they do it right to become a serious competitor to Adobe.

iMac 27" with macOS Mojave (German)

23 hours ago, MickRose said:

Hi Luyanne - Symbols is in View/Studio. I can't see an attachment. The release option doesn't seem very clever because as you say, it seems to delete the item from the master page - I suppose that is intentional.

Mick, I cannot express how thankful I am for your insight. It works. A bit weird when a person has been used to working in InDesign, and also due to the fact that it is so separated from where it's suppose to work.

Thank you :D

That's what forums are for! Glad to be of help. I have read that Serif do know about this procedure but they are not promoting because they think it isn't quite right. Personally I think its okay. Make sure you don't detach the master layer itself because on my system in always crashes.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 7 months later...

Compared to Indesign it is a different way of doing the same thing.
With Publisher I can apply two master pages to the same page (adding the different master elements), in Indesign no, I'll do two master pages with the elements I want for each one, this is not a big problem. But having at a glance the possibility to understand the applied master pages would be better.

The example posted by PMan (in the absence of a feature of the program) is not bad, but would there be the possibility of making the numbers that identify the master pages non-printable (for visualization only)?

3 hours ago, bebez71 said:

but would there be the possibility of making the numbers that identify the master pages non-printable (for visualization only)?

I don't think you can have non-printable characters as yet

But with a bit of lateral thinking you can set up your master pages so that the master page assigned to a page is visible as the page scrolls into view.

It will also keep the page clear of any "clutter" showing you what Master Page it has assigned

masterpages.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 minutes ago, carl123 said:

But with a bit of lateral thinking you can set up your master pages so that the master page assigned to a page is visible as the page scrolls into view.

How lateral are you doing this? For me it does not work to put something outside of the canvas of a master page.

Apart from that, one have to keep in mind that it is possible to apply multiple master pages to a page and even to apply master pages to master pages. This could make the task a little more complicated ;-)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

30 minutes ago, dominik said:

Apart from that, one have to keep in mind that it is possible to apply multiple master pages to a page and even to apply master pages to master pages. This could make the task a little more complicated

Some could argue that the more complicated you make your use of Master Pages the more you need some sort of visualisation as to what is applied where and how the masters are applied.

masterpages2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Some could argue that the more complicated you make your use of Master Pages the more you need some sort of visualisation as what is applied where and how the masters are applied.

That's a valid point. It would be good to turn this on and off. But is propabely obvious.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Just now, bebez71 said:

Have you enabled the display of the canvas in the view menu?

Yes.
d.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Brilliant. If you align the off page labels on left and right sides you can see which page has what master on it in a double page spread.

157721235_ScreenShot2019-05-02at9_04_42AM.thumb.png.9c4379334371d67d84b43c0c8ddd87c0.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

46 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Brilliant.

Now, I can agree. I had the 'labels' (= textframes) partially on the page itself and this prevented them to show up on the canvas.

This 'prototype' should be an inspiration for Serif :)

d.

1 hour ago, dominik said:

This 'prototype' should be an inspiration for Serif :)

No! We keep it to ourselves.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.