You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No master info which page belongs to

If you hover your mouse over a document page it will tell you which masters it uses.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, MickRose said:

True, but I'd rather have a system where you could look at the pages list & immediately see the applied master page.

I'm afraid I don't see how that could work in a complicated document, since each document page could have several master pages applied to it. What would the Pages panel display have to look like in that case?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I suspect in the future we will have a Document > Master Page Manager dialogue

Just like we currently have...

Section Manager
Font Manager
Resource Manager

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

I suspect in the future we will have a Document > Master Page Manager dialogue

Just like we currently have...

Section Manager
Font Manager
Resource Manager

Interesting thought, Carl. I certainly can't see the information being presented clearly in the current Pages panel, especially when any page can have multiple master pages applied.

-- Walt
PC:

to Kotos, 

a workaround to help you at the moment if you want to see which master is applied to a page if Walt_Farrel's hint of hovering your mouse over the page in the Pages pane would be to  insert an identifier on each master page which will show on each page while you are editing and then to either remove them before you print your document or set them to be white. (see attached publication).

Obviously it would be nicer if Publisher could do this automatically in some way. As I've never used indesign I don't know how that programme achieves your requirement.

Pman

Identifying which master page is in use.afpub

For those of us without In Design, could you post a screenshot, Tom? Especially where a page has several Master Pages applied to it.

-- Walt
PC:

If it doesn't support multiple Masters applied to a single document page then it doesn't have the same display constraints as Publisher on the Pages panel.

-- Walt
PC:

You are right @MickRose. It doesn’t support multi masters on one layout page. It supports hierarchical masters, but nevertheless, it is one master in this case.

Supporting multi masters makes it really difficult to display the master labels permanently. So, I think, the solution via tool tips is one, we can live with. Yes it „takes time“, but I think, you won’t realise it in comparison to your life time. :)

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If it doesn't support multiple Masters applied to a single document page then it doesn't have the same display constraints as Publisher on the Pages panel.

That is correct. Adobe smartly chose to handle the situation in a better way so there is no issue knowing what masters are applied.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but how do you apply multiple masters to one single document page? And what is this good for?

As you can see in InDesign you can easily differentiate the similar master pages by the prefixes "A" and "B" and where they are used. Without any hovering. This helps a lot if you need to sort your pages.

masterpages.png

iMac 27" with macOS Mojave (German)

1 hour ago, stmartin said:

Maybe I'm totally wrong but how do you apply multiple masters to one single document page? And what is this good for?

In the Apply Master dialog you have the choice of replacing any existing Master that's already applied to a page, or not. If you choose not to, then multiple Masters apply to that page.

How is it useful? You could have one Master that contains a set of elements that need to be on all pages, and other Masters that contain elements needed for different subsets of pages. The subset Masters only need their unique data, as the document pages can inherit from two or more Masters.

-- Walt
PC:

I didn't realize applying multiple masters was possible. It's really hidden away there. It still seems a really really odd way. Totally alien to the InDesign workflow of one master per page but allowing masters to be based on other versions. That does create some nice options for masters and COULD be a functional alternative to nested ones, but the interface for this needs a major overhaul. Why not allow us to select multiple masters initially instead of one at a time? Why not let us select multiple masters in the master page studio and drop them on at one time? anyway... I digress a bit here. 

Regardless of multiple masters, there still needs to be a way to identify them visually on each page. This could be as simple as adding an extra line under the page name that says which masters are on there. Maybe it we could set master page colors and have a swatch for each master applied next to the page. This is critical information to know at a glance for complex documents.

1 hour ago, Vaaish said:

Totally alien to the InDesign workflow

From what I've read in these forums, it seems that many things in the Affinity line of applications are totally alien to workflows in other products. Often, I think, that's intentional as the Serif developers believe they have a better way.

-- Walt
PC:

It looks like master pages are really a kind of locked layer. This is interesting because the items within that locked page layer can be edited/deleted, added to on a page and that will change any pages which have been tagged with that master page. I'm not sure if that kind of flexibility is a good thing but it's certainly a different way of working.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In the Apply Master dialog you have the choice of replacing any existing Master that's already applied to a page, or not. If you choose not to, then multiple Masters apply to that page.

How is it useful? You could have one Master that contains a set of elements that need to be on all pages, and other Masters that contain elements needed for different subsets of pages. The subset Masters only need their unique data, as the document pages can inherit from two or more Masters.

Thank you for your answer Walt!

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

From what I've read in these forums, it seems that many things in the Affinity line of applications are totally alien to workflows in other products. Often, I think, that's intentional as the Serif developers believe they have a better way.

I also think they deliberately do a lot of things differently. But in some places you can clearly see that they did not fully understand the needs of DTP.

iMac 27" with macOS Mojave (German)