You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Get Full Screen Preview in Publisher

I have been trying Publisher Beta since it came out - and absolutely loving it - congrats to the Affinity Team for such a great job! Can't wait to buy it.

I just wanted to check if there is a preview/presentation mode in Publisher that hides all tools, toolbars and guides and makes a single/facing page visible - and you can quickly go through the pages using some shortcut. In some other popular software such presentation mode is available.

In case such feature is not there yet in Publisher, adding it would be really handy not only in Publisher but also in Designer. 

Great work on the upgrades! Great to see the bleed lines. What would be super helpful would be a button on the toolbar or a shortcut that gave an overall preview of the document (without showing margins and bleed etc). I have tried the hide all guides option but it still shows the full image (eg the part of the image in the bleed zone). It would be great if this disappeared along with the bleed line so the page can be previewed as it would be printed. Its awesome to see you guys listening to our ideas and implementing them to make your product better for us designers!

• Staff

Hi saikat,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To toggle between normal and "preview" view press ⌃(ctrl) + W (or go to menu View ▸ Hide All Guides). It will hide all guides/text frames etc from view. On Windows, the shortcut for Hide All Guides is Ctrl+Shift+W. To  hide the whole user interface press TAB or go to menu View ▸ Toggle UI.

Hi MEB - I have tried these options but the part of my image within the bleed zone still shows. It would be helpful if this part of the document also disappeared in preview mode like it does in inDesign. In inDesign there is a button on the tool bar that allows for switching between these modes. This function would be great in publisher!

39 minutes ago, saikat said:

Is there any shortcut to navigate between pages? 

Try Cmd (or Ctrl)+PgDown or Cmd (or Ctrl)+PgUp, or the icons on the lower left side of the status bar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Try Cmd (or Ctrl)+PgDown or Cmd (or Ctrl)+PgUp, or the icons on the lower left side of the status bar.

Thank you! 
These shortcuts very handy when the toolbars are hidden.
I really wish there were a full-screen preview mode in every Affinity software - now the menu-bar,  document-bar and scrollbars are always visible.
Is there a place to ask for this feature? 

8 hours ago, saikat said:

I really wish there were a full-screen preview mode in every Affinity software - now the menu-bar,  document-bar and scrollbars are always visible.
Is there a place to ask for this feature? 

Probably in Suggestions for the Affinity Range.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Full screen mode for preview for all Affinity programs

I agree that Publisher and probably the other two programs could benefit from what Adobe describes as Presentation mode. I am a regular InDesign user, and appreciate the Preview mode, which allows me to pick up errors before printing, and quickly correct them: it is identical to Toggle UI in Publisher.

In Adobe's Presentation mode, a full screen uneditable image is displayed. In fact, I prefer using this to using PowerPoint because of the greater degree of layout control available. Using a remote control, I can easily scroll through the pages to illustrate a talk. Also, if I want to produce a graphic incorporating something I have laid out in InDesign, the full screen image provides the best resolution my computer is capable of, so it is easily copied as a screen grab and inserted into the new location.

• 4 years later...
5 minutes ago, Tart said:

But is it really? I don´t find it in my Publisher

What OS do you use? That description seems to be for macOS.

-- Walt
PC:

28 minutes ago, Tart said:

oh, I use windows

I would say it's a bug in the Help that that section shows up on Windows (in both the online and in-app Help).

-- Walt
PC: