You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to fill .png graphics files with color?

I'm working with Comic Strip Factory to make comics and despite it having several characters to work with there's not enough for me.  So the creator of it (David Durkee) allows users to use the original black and white characters.  They're on a sheet full of various heads, torsos, arms, legs, you get the idea.  But they're all black and white.

David told me how to select one body part, say a head, and export it as a .png file and then drop it into Affinity Photo which I own.  So I did this.  Now, I know for me this is a very steep learning process and I have so little time in real life to learn it.

What I'm trying to do is copy in these images or parts one at a time and colorize them and re-export them so I can use them in new comics.  But how do I do this?  I tried after much hit and miss with the paint bucket and colorized a face but it was like I said, a hit or miss thing because I really don't know this program like all of you people.

Is there an easy way to do this and is there a tutorial on how to do this?

I can post files for examples to show you what I'm trying to accomplish.

Many thanks.

Jack

26 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

I can post files for examples to show you what I'm trying to accomplish.

Go for it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Ok, I'm finally home and have a chance to upload what 'm talking about.

The first capture shows all the "parts" I can use to create a character in Comic Strip Factory.  I run CSF, select one part and export it as a .png file.

spXcKpA.png

Then I import it into Affinity Photo by dropping it on the icon on my iMac.  It opens and this is the hideous result.  Now, these are "masked" files so I need to modify the original, not layers and then it has to be exported as a .png file.

9KaSUVg.png

I have no idea how I did this with the paint bucket as I was fumbling around and accidentally colorized it.

Here's a CSF file that is already colorized, it's in the new CSF.  

I would like to somehow match his skin color for Sasha and other characters.  Like with an eyedropper thing maybe?  I'm so new at this so I apologize in advance if I'm confusing.

R6GBskZ.png

Thanks so much,

Jack

Hi @JackSwyr

sasha.png.658ed0f71d0521742c60a73c570ba745.png

There is indeed an Eyedropper thing. Officially called the Colour Picker Tool.

eyeeye.jpg.602250d44318e32d73cf04c01678aad4.jpg

If you have the paintbrush selected, press Alt and drag, and that activates the Eyedropper thing temporarily with a magnified pointer (below).

Release Alt and you are back to the Paint Brush.

temp.jpg.a1322042dc3fc8a4671ceba1d087baa1.jpg

That makes selecting a colour, painting, selecting and painting again much easier.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 hours ago, JackSwyr said:

Brilliant!  Thank you!  And how did you cut out one face like that?

And when I modify the original and save it, will it still be .png?

Thank you for your excellent help!

You can Save/Export to several formats and one is a PNG, you can also export whatever you have selected as a PNG.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I used a screengrab program, but you could use the Crop tool (press C) in Photo.

If it is a PNG file that you open, press Ctrl + S to save and it will save back as a PNG. 

However, if you add a layer it won't, it will want to save as an .afphoto file.

In that case, go File > Export and just choose .PNG.

EXPORT.jpg.2dfd28060bbb0e828c7421eeb10ad952.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 hours ago, JackSwyr said:

Can I get this as a stand-alone video so I can stop it and rewind it?

I'll do a slower version for you Jack

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

There you go, I've put it on my Youtube channel

Just now, JackSwyr said:

Thanks Dex!  Bookmarked, upvoted, and subscribed!  Thanks so much!

Your welcome