You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artifacts using Shapes and Combine - Affinity Designer Mac

Hi I'm doing a swirly logo. So I started with one donut (1000x1000 the size of artboard) and then I added 4 circles 3/4 the size of the donut.
I've put each circle in four cardinal points. I believe everything is perfectly aligned. I used outline mode to check.
Then I use Divide tool and instead of only getting the shapes I get a lot of line artifacts.

You can check on the attached file, just click the combine button.
Also +1 on that shape builder tool :)
Keep up the good work, love what Affinity is doing.

SwirlGeometry.afdesign

@dutchshader thank you so much for replying. It is getting closer. Thank you. You didn’t got any artifacts? I converted donut to curves but when I divide I still got them. My final goal is something like this (in attachment) but what looks kind of trivial with Adobe Illustrator (with shape builder and global swatches) becomes  horribly complex. :) do you have any suggestions to do the image in attachment? Thank you again.

D4FFE266-072A-4C1A-B54F-EF32A2F12344.jpeg

So Close...
606729461_ScreenShot2018-09-08at08_52_43.thumb.png.0bfa14713165b1b3af955da96c32ca1d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yours is cleaner Dutchshader than mine, so I think you're on the right track, this design belies it's complexity, I like how you have nested the effects.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence @dutchshader
You guys are amazing! Thank you so much!
You guys don't have artifacts at all? What am I doing wrong?

You took a different approach from what I was thinking.
I thought had all shapes divided and then gradient fill them separately.

I want to replicate what you did.
Its spot on. Looks amazing! Thanks again! :D

8 minutes ago, joaoamaral said:

@firstdefence @dutchshader
You guys are amazing! Thank you so much!
You guys don't have artifacts at all? What am I doing wrong?

You took a different approach from what I was thinking.
I thought had all shapes divided and then gradient fill them separately.

I want to replicate what you did.
Its spot on. Looks amazing! Thanks again! :D

I think Dutchshader's method looks better, the colours are cleaner too. The crescent shapes can be made by boolean subtracting one circle from another, so to create one crescent shape you need two circles.

And yet another way....(*could use a little tweaking of course*)

The way I see it is that's there's really just one piece. The funky blue shape in the corner. (not fun in affinity)
Four of those make up the base color donut. That same group is copied and flipped and filled with some simple (base white) shading to get the overlaid features.

1926954898_ScreenShot2018-09-08at6_05_29PM.thumb.png.129b9e744858072f379654721c7882a4.png

Hey, JimmyJack.

Took me 4 - 5 tries to realize that it was the crescent shape, rotated times 4. Couldn't quite figure out how to get the shading and blends right. Good work.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Wow! Thank you so much for the help! I've learned a lot! And looking at your posts still a lot I have to learn!
Thank you for your posts, time and tries! This place is awesome and so are you.

I haven't finished but I attach my progress as well.
I don't like when you combine simple curves and then you get so many vector points sometimes (what I call artifacts) but I think in time it will be improved.

I still have to practice a lot with the colors and the gradients but the geometry is there, thanks to you guys! :D

Screenshot 2018-09-09 21.15.53.png