varlien

Is Affinity Designer not able to handle a document with lots of curves and paths?

Hey guys,

I was working on this vector file that I downloaded from iStock and it has a lot of curves and points. However, when I open the EPS file in Affinity Designer or even copy the vector objects from Illustrator to Affinity Designer, moving the objects in Affinity Designer is very slow and I constantly get a spinning wheel for basically moving an object. There's no issue doing just that in Illustrator though. What is up with that? I'm on spec'd out iMac and it's definitely not a hardware issue. Is Affinity not able to handle documents with lots of curves and path?

I've attached my Affinity Designer file.

My settings for performance is attached as well.

Thanks!

KidsThanksGivingInvite_5x7_01.afdesign

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 5.43.58 PM.png

53 minutes ago, douglasrthomson said:

Hi varlien. I opened your file on my Mac and I don't have any of the issues you are reporting. 

Thanks for checking it out @douglasrthomson . It's really slow when I try and move/edit the individual curve elements like the leaves and the twigs. Is that slow on your end too?

Update: I turned off Snapping (Which was set to Page Layouts with Objects) and that drastically improved the performance. Definitely something with snapping that is causing that issue. 

Opened without problem on an i3 PC Win 10 and snapping was turned on. Alignment of text was wrong thought.

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

5 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Opened without problem on an i3 PC Win 10 and snapping was turned on. Alignment of text was wrong thought.

Hi @AlainP. Thanks for checking it out. The istock vector file in question is attached here. It has a lot of curve elements and paths. Trying to move those individual elements with snapping turned on with the preset: Page Layout and Objects is terribly slow. Setting the snapping preset to Curve Drawing or completely turning it off fixes that lag or freezing. 

iStock-864352514.eps

I believe the issue is that due to the large amount of nodes in a very small space, giving the 'Snapping Timed Out' message. This has been improved by development and will be coming in 1.7.

Opening the EPS file on my almost 10 years old computer took (approx) 17 seconds with snapping turned on and 16 seconds without it. So not really a big difference.

Win 10 -- i3 -- 8 GB ram

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

2 hours ago, AlainP said:

Opening the EPS file on my almost 10 years old computer took (approx) 17 seconds with snapping turned on and 16 seconds without it. So not really a big difference.

Win 10 -- i3 -- 8 GB ram

Hey @AlainP, my bad, sorry for the confusion. I have no issues opening the EPS file in Affinity Designer. The issue I have is pretty much what @Sean P mentioned above. Thanks! :)