You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager Bug and Link Suggestions

14 minutes ago, sportyguy209 said:

In addition to all the good reasons for linking graphics, there are two big negatives against embedding: updated graphics and potential for document corruption.

Updated Graphics: Once the embedded graphic has been added, any change to the original graphic(s) will not be included. That could be very confusing for the user and problematic for a client.

Potential for Document Corruption: The more graphics, the larger the file size of the document, and the increased potential for file corruption.

That said, I have no problem with an option to allow embedding, but I feel strongly that the greatest potential market will need the application to work with linked graphics. And, as such, the default should be linked with the option of embedding. For a user traveling, even if they had originally chosen linked graphics, and they want graphics embedded, they could always save their work as a pdf.

I'm sure Affinity is not investing all their time and efforts into reaching a small number of mom and pop desktop publishers who have been using Microsoft Word or Microsoft Publisher. The features and capabilities of Publisher need to be focused on the professional market (those who would replace InDesign and XPress) of consultants, marketers, art directors, designers, etc. whether they work for themselves or in an agency/company.

But Affinity also needs to add an icon for any missing graphic in a linked file. We need a visual icon for any missing or changed graphic along with the ability to quickly fix it through a control click or something like that.

Yes, when you’re working with a team of 10+ and it’s 1am all trying to get a report finalised, the last thing you want is the headache of an unpexpected / unknown embedded file. It would be a nightmare. 

9 minutes ago, woefi said:

A package for finished projects to archive...

On the mac side this would be great if it used the native file package format. A macOS file package is a disguised folder containing all the parts. As an App usually is (right click on any .app - view package contents) This way, if file corruption happens, you could retrieve all the other parts. And backup programs can be faster as they only copy the changed objects inside the package.

That's been a standard with ID for years and it is how you move or send a working/unfinished copy of an ID file to someone. But it is still based on linked files. It simply collects and puts all the linked items, including fonts if desired, into a companion folder for delivery. 

If someone doesn't fully understand or appreciate why linked files are the "normal" method for placing graphics in DTP, it goes back to what I used to try to get across to my students at university. Without broad-based experience, you might simply not know what you don't know! Based on a very broad spectrum of media producers in both print and video (in the beginning, in the middle and even today), linked was and still is the "norm" and embedding is the option when needed for a special reason.

But you are right that it should simply be a main pref that can be set and sustain for all new docs in order to fit a person's pref.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

3 minutes ago, robinp said:

OK I can now understand the use. I can’t believe this is a big market though. Who really works primarily in this way?

At this point, I don't think anybody, not even Serif, knows what Affinity Publisher's biggest or most important revenue generating markets will be. There are almost certainly a lot of people who will buy it just because it is inexpensive & feature-rich, even if they rarely use it, or only use it for 'lightweight' projects that include just a few pages & not many images.

There will also be what Bob LeVitus calls "solopreneurs," meaning one-man operations who are in his words "responsible for ads, flyers, business cards, signs, and typesetting, and everything else. I’m also responsible for editing my photos and screenshots for books, articles, and online posts."

I think it is also very likely that there are a lot of people who just create projects for fun or want to learn more about DTP in general, & have no interest of doing anything professionally with APub, who will buy it for that reason alone.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But with linked files one needs to be sure to take along all the files with the creation file.
If you miss one or misplace one or one gets corrupted you're f*****.
Embedded seems wrong but one file to backup is that much easier.
Besides would one take the afpub file to a client? 
Or a pdf

If someone isn’t backing up their artwork then they are dumb. The rest of us don’t deserve to be inconvenienced because others can’t figure out a robust filing / back up solution.

This should be a serious DTP app that can compete with the best. It shouldn’t be hamstrung by molly coddling amateurs who don’t back up their files properly. 

8 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But with linked files one needs to be sure to take along all the files with the creation file.
If you miss one or misplace one or one gets corrupted you're f*****.
Embedded seems wrong but one file to backup is that much easier.
Besides would one take the afpub file to a client? 
Or a pdf

You wouldn't take an embedded afpub file to a client. You'd take a pdf, which you can do with linked graphics.

10 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But then why everybody thinks afPub is solely a dtp program? a replacemnet for ID or QE
I think it's a visual editor that supports a lot of dtp features 

Please...Publisher is a dtp program with wysiwyg capabilities that Affinity hopes will be a replacement for many users who currently use ID or QX. And, I suppose you have a different naming description for what Photo and Designer are other than (basically) a Photoshop (bitmap editor) or Illustrator (vector editor) replacement?

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

you know what WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet means,don't you

Yes, thanks. And I’m still confused. Photoshop and pages are examples. Word almost, but it’s a bit less reliable. 

If we look at Serif’s products. What makes Photo or Designer not a ‘visual editor’?

to be honest, I think you’re taking this off topic. 

Just now, robinp said:

Yes, thanks. And I’m still confused. Photoshop and pages are examples. Word almost, but it’s a bit less reliable. 

If we look at Serif’s products. What makes Photo or Designer not a ‘visual editor’?

to be honest, I think you’re taking this off topic. 

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, robinp said:

This should be a serious DTP app that can compete with the best.

What it will be after half a dozen more years of development & what it is practical for it to be in the immediate future are two very different things.

For that matter, we don't even know how the planned integration with the 1.7 versions of Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo will work, or when that will happen.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, robinp said:

What’s a visual editor? 

I understand we are allowed to view this new program as more than just an replacement of ID and QE in the future. ;) 

There can still be a lot of future use-cases for this, but to me the term "desktop publishing" is still apt, as it was when I first heard in 1990.

edit: ok now we're completely off-topic, sorry.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What it will be after half a dozen more years of development & what it is practical for it to be in the immediate future are two very different things.

For that matter, we don't even know how the planned integration with the 1.7 versions of Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo will work, or when that will happen.

Well, yes, no one is expecting it to be there on day one, but it certainly should be aiming high. To me, that means not dumbing it down.

2 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But seriously,
I of course get the convenience of linked imges and/or text,just pulling your chain
My opinion is there's room for both options(linked vs embedded) and one should have the choice for what is needed in certain situations
I just have seen to much members that certain ways in ID PS or Illustrator or Quark should be implemened because that's how these programs work.
Hey guess what Seif is making something new with a new workflow and those that want stuff to be like above called programs,go and use those programs or try to adapt to another way of thinking and wait what serif may or may not implement.

On that basis we might as well all give up now and just wait for what the high priests at Serif decide to provide. 

I don’t buy that. We are talking here about the subtlety of how features are implemented, what the default setting is. This is not some major conceptual change. It is about making sure the app is not hamstrung by a wrong choice on what to set as default behaviour. 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I remember when InDesign was just a whisper as a PageMaker killer. It turned out to be that and more. Now, because of the shortsightedness of Adobe, and the cost of XPress, Publisher has the potential to make some huge inroads in the "dtp" marketplace.

I think it's pretty clear, by the icons in Publishers top left corner, what the planned integration of Designer and Photo will be. I, for one, can't wait to put my last retail versions of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and XPress on the shelf once and for all.

But, that being said, while I don't need Publisher to be a copy of InDesign or XPress, I want it to take the best of what is available, along with some new ideas, not take a step backward.

6 minutes ago, sportyguy209 said:

Please...Publisher is a dtp program with wysiwyg capabilities that Affinity hopes will be a replacement for many users who currently use ID or QX.

Nobody besides Serif knows who they hope will buy Publisher or for what reason. It is obvious that a lot of users hope Serif wants to go toe to toe with the industry leaders & offer the same or better features at a lower price, but there is no indication that is their plan, & good reasons to believe it is not.

Affinity Photo 

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Nobody besides Serif knows who they hope will buy Publisher or for what reason. It is obvious that a lot of users hope Serif wants to go toe to toe with the industry leaders & offer the same or better features at a lower price, but there is no indication that is their plan, & good reasons to believe it is not.

While we can't know for sure what Serif is planning, I think it's pretty obvious. That would be like saying, there was no indication that Serif didn't want to go toe-to-toe with Adobe over Photoshop and Illustrator before they were released.

You don't think Serif's Photo and Designer offers the same, or better, features at a lower price (and no subscription), than Adobe's Photoshop and Illustrator? Of course, having a lower price will appeal to a broader market than just professionals, so that is a plus for them too.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.