You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing and modifying then saving .png files?

Hi, it's been a very long time since I've been here.

I'm working with Comic Strip Factory to make comics and despite it having several characters to work with there's not enough for me.  So the creator of it (David Durkee) allows users to use the original black and white characters.  They're on a sheet full of various heads, torsos, arms, legs, you get the idea.  But they're all black and white.

David told me how to select one body part, say a head, and export it as a .png file and then drop it into Affinity Photo which I own.  So I did this.  Now, I know for me this is a very steep learning process and I have so little time in real life to learn it.

What I'm trying to do is copy in these images or parts one at a time and colorize them and re-export them so I can use them in new comics.  But how do I do this?  I tried after much hit and miss with the paint bucket and colorized a face but it was like I said, a hit or miss thing because I really don't know this program like all of you people.

Is there an easy way to do this and is there a tutorial on how to do this?

I can post files for examples to show you what I'm trying to accomplish.

Many thanks.

Jack

Post some examples please

But in the meantime, if you have access to a tablet and pen you can create pixel layers and paint blocks of colour onto them, and drop them below the line art and erase the colour to the black edges.

To get rid of the white you can use the erase white paper filter: Filters > Colours > Erase White Paper 

2059523173_ScreenShot2018-09-06at22_09_03.png.92ae384cdb0d93ca65b364dafd6d99e2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions