You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A few comments from a commercial printer

Hi, I'm a commercial printer in Nottingham, rather than graphic designer and as such would appreciate a few missing, but necessary features:

1. Although it's possible to add bleed to a document set-up and export to a PDF with the bleed, I cannot see away of seeing the edge of the bleed area when working on a document. This is a fundamental requirement. In the beta version any design components disappear when they exceed the edge of the page.

2. When creating a new document with bleed - you have to first created the document without bleed and then go back to document set up to add the bleed.

3. When importing a PDF with crop marks etc there are no import options such as importing to the trim size, bleed size or media size.

4. There appears to be no way to scale an imported PDF (or any other kind of image) to a set size, e.g. 10% 50% or 200% for example.

5. It crashes a lot on my Mac Book Pro, 2018 model, when using it with a second 4K second screen.

There's lots of things I really like about Publisher so keep up the really good work.

Barry Hayman

5 hours ago, hayman said:

3. When importing a PDF with crop marks etc there are no import options such as importing to the trim size, bleed size or media size.

This: There needs to be an import dialog like ID where you choose HOW and WHAT to import, eg. crop to which PDF-box, include cropmarks, which page(s) to import, omit layers, color management, white background or transparent,... Same for changing this afterwards (in Resource Manager?) 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);