You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.58

Great improvement, thanks!

Interestingly, I can now superimpose guides for the bleed, but can not blind out the bleed area anymore. (Clip to canvas)

A big issue for me: When placing a JPEG image with embedded clipping path, AP does not recognise this path. Otherwise, when opening the same JPEG in Affinity Photo, I can clip the background, copy and paste it into Publisher and then Publisher DOES see the clipping path. The problem here is, that I can not link the image when copied from Photo. It must be embedded, which blows up the document size. 

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-11 um 13.06.47.png

Hi Affinity Team,

I just wanted to post a quick note to say that you have created a pretty amazing app with Publisher.

I think the passion from the community around what needs fixing and adding and what have you gets a lot of focus - I have definite interests around certain aspects such as bleed and whatnot, but taking a step back for a minute....Publisher is quite incredible.  I mean I imported a print ready PDF of one of my past books created in InDesign into Publisher, and it came in perfectly with editable text, separated images, vector art and everything! I recall years back wishing I could open a PDF in InDesign, but had no way to do it - maybe there are tricks or third party apps that work with InDesign, but I was unable to....and here I am a week into the beta and already glossing over amazing functionality like this taking it for granted.

Please take it as a testament to your great work, as well as your impeccable past track record with other betas of frequent and impressive updates, additions and bug fixes  - in addition to this community wanting this to be an incredible first release.

Thank you for all of your hard work, and for all the work going on behind the scenes while these forums rack up the posts. I'm so excited for the upcoming beta and eventual final release, Not to mention a future iPad version!! Incredible. Keep up the great work!!

thanks again,

-damian

1 hour ago, dorkboycomics said:

Please take it as a testament to your great work, as well as your impeccable past track record with other betas of frequent and impressive updates, additions and bug fixes  - in addition to this community wanting this to be an incredible first release.

Couldn't agree more. 9_9

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Couldn’t have said this any better too. All of these feature requests and suggestions for improvement that fill the forums might sometimes come across overly critical or demanding, but I believe they express a genuine interest in the applications of the Affinity range and the desire to help them succeed for creative work on a daily basis. :)

9 minutes ago, Mark_S said:

I think, bleed is not part of canvas. 

Isn't bleed just the part of the canvas that extends beyond the trim lines?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, dorkboycomics said:

I recall years back wishing I could open a PDF in InDesign, but had no way to do it - maybe there are tricks or third party apps that work with InDesign, but I was un

There is software by Recosoft which converts PDF to INDD but I'm not sure how effective it is and you could buy quite a few copies of ADesigner (or APublisher when it comes out) for the same price. Affinity Publisher isn't perfect but its pretty amazing as a starter. If they could somehow work with embedded fonts like some PDF utility software does, that would be even better.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

16 minutes ago, Mark_S said:

Its the part that extends beyond the trim lines. Its not part of the canvas.

To me, anything that would be printed is inherently part of the canvas. Trimming part of it away afterwards does not change that, just as it would not if an artist hand painted a physical canvas & then someone trimmed it to a smaller size.

EDIT: But maybe that's just me. I don't really have any objection if Clip to Canvas is changed to hide the bleed, as long as there is some way to see the bleed when desired.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If bleed guides are enabled, clip to canvas should show the bleed content. If bleed guides are disabled, then bleed area can be hidden when clip to canvas is enabled. I would not want to have to disable clip to canvas to be able to se objects that extend into the bleed, because then, I would also se items that are placed beyond the bleed. That would be messy.

Help me to understand what brings up the bleed guides to test the post above. At first, I thought it was those two buttons before the insertion tools, but that then I realized having clip to canvas enabled doesn't do what was said.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

43 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Help me to understand what brings up the bleed guides to test the post above. At first, I thought it was those two buttons before the insertion tools, but that then I realized having clip to canvas enabled doesn't do what was said.

If you mean seeing the bleed, View > Show Bleed does that.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
15 hours ago, vonBusing said:

If bleed guides are enabled, clip to canvas should show the bleed content. If bleed guides are disabled, then bleed area can be hidden when clip to canvas is enabled. I would not want to have to disable clip to canvas to be able to se objects that extend into the bleed, because then, I would also se items that are placed beyond the bleed. That would be messy.

Hi vonBusing,
This area will still be revised/improved. Currently the naming/options available are a little confusing.

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

If you mean seeing the bleed, View > Show Bleed does that.

Yeah that doesn't seem to work for me. I only see the bleed if I untick clip to canvas. It's not a big deal, but I was just curious about what people were talking about here.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi Bri-Toon,
If you also have enabled Hide All Guides after enabling Show Bleed (keeping Clip to Canvas ticked/enabled all the time) you have to go to menu View ▸ Show Bleed again to see the bleed area. This is currently a little confusing and is still being looked at.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi vonBusing,
This area will still be revised/improved. Currently the naming/options available are a little confusing.

Hi MEB, 

I think the Show bleed/Clip to canvas options work just as I would expect them to do. So I'm very happy with them as they are. Therefore, I am more concerned about them being revised, unless its only how they are labeled that is revised...

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Bri-Toon,
If you also have enabled Hide All Guides after enabling Show Bleed (keeping Clip to Canvas ticked/enabled all the time) you have to go to menu View ▸ Show Bleed again to see the bleed area. This is currently a little confusing and is still being looked at.

Thanks. I just figured it out.

• Staff

Hi BLKay,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's a known issue with documents where masters with images applied to spreads/pages would crash the program if saved and reopened again, both from previous betas and when created from scratch in the current Beta. If you have documents in the same circumstances that's probably the cause. This should be fixed in the next update. If that's not the case do you mind uploading the publisher document so we can see what's going on?