You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing algorithm in Affinity...

So I've been working on a 200x80 logo for a website (in Affinity Photo primarily, but I have tried in Designer too), and I noticed when I created the logo at that size and exported it out as a transparent 24bit png, the anti aliasing of the text looked quite poor. So, I created the file to be much larger, and tried again. Same thing. So, I converted everything to curves and tried again. It still looked quite chunky around the edges. Then I went systematically through every resizing algorithm. Things still looked poor.

Finally I went to Photoshop. Aside from the near instant previews in Photoshop (that I miss in Affinity) I could immediately see that Photoshop (CC) produced a much cleaner logo at a small size. The edges weren't always as sharp in places (things were quite rounded off with anti aliasing) but the effect was much nicer and more consistent.

The Affinity apps have some nice algorithms, but in terms of clean AA at smaller sizes, Photoshop has Affinity beaten by a country mile. I wonder... is this something Serif plan on improving in the future?

What to provide a example, possibly information about setting the algorithm, etc.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Not really, no.. I don't have time for image examples of every setting. However, I think I've found where the problem lies. You can test this for yourself.

I used the Cabin font and created a line of text that was eventually resized to be 25 pixels high. The text was white on a coloured background.

The problem seems to be with resizing line artwork in Affinity Photo. So for example, non converted text, or curves. The anti aliasing looks quite poor at smaller sizes, even upon export to png. However, if you rasterize the text, it is easily comparable to Photoshop. This rasterization is very effective, even if you do it at the smaller size.

I would love someone from Serif to comment on why this might be happening.

• Staff

Hi r10k,

I have tested the example you have given me and while there was a change it was extremely slight and I wouldn't say that his behaviour is un expected.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 08.36.26.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 08.36.34.jpg

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

If you compare the results at actual size, the text that doesn't get rasterized looks very poor, especially for logos. The text looks comparatively chunky. I would not say the difference is extremely slight. It was enough that I looked at the logo text and wondered why it looked like it was made by someone who didn't know how to resize something. Perhaps algorithmically it's doing what it's supposed to, but from a human perspective, on the surface Photoshop produces far more desirable results, unless you know to rasterize your text before output in AP.