You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will there be better support of importing PDFs created with LaTeX? Currently, Publisher (and Designer) do not work with the embedded fonts , and even if one installs special fonts and sets up the LaTeX source to use installed fonts, some PDFs (in particular containing math) do not resolve correctly, to put bit it mildly. I know a correct import is possible.

15 minutes ago, elgarak said:

I know a correct import is possible.

Please file it as a bug. That's what beta release is for.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• Staff

@elgarak

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

I would normally move a thread like this to the correct forum, but the QA team work from tickets made in those forums and posts here are being read but not religiously replied to so not making tickets. I also do not know what platform you are using, so please make a Publisher Bugs on Mac or Publisher Bugs on Windows post and please attach a PDF file that was made with LatTeX  when you do.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I wasn't sure if it counts as a bug... :), as Designer has the same problems (probably uses the same engine), and supposedly Adobe InDesign also has problems importing them. I just decided to submit since I found iCalamus, which, at first test, seems to properly import. 

I will go ahead and submit a bug report in the bug forum (Mac).

• Staff

It's only a borderline bug as we are not supporting embedded fonts in PDFs at the moment, but it is a very good example of why we should.

One of the problems I know with embedded fonts in a PDF is that they are often only partial fonts and only contain the characters needed to display the PDF (because it was not designed as an interchange format) So if you honour the embedded font and then ADD to that text the characters that you add may not be in the embedded font, and a substitution or missing character gets displayed.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Kinda makes sense.

As I found out, as far as pure text (no math) is concerned, one can workaround by using standard installed system fonts directly in the LaTeX source (if one made or has access to the LaTeX source, and is not working with a PDF of someone else).

Math still does not import properly all the time, even if the recommended replacement math fonts (Latin Modern Math, for one) are used.