You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't find an easy way to insert a quote mark

I can't seem to find an easy way to insert a quote mark - either single or double.
I can go to the Glyph Browser, select General Punctuation from a drop-down and double-click the mark(s) I need but this seems a bit of a hassle for this kind of simple task.
I looked in the Help but couldn't see anything, and I couldn't find anything in the Text menu either.

Am I overlooking something?

When copying text from, say, a word processor, it's usual for the quote marks to be the straight ones, rather than the proper curly ones, so it would be nice to have a simple way of replacing them. (It would also be great if they can be accessible via a keyboard shortcut, but just somewhere in a menu would be okay.)

I can enter them just normally. Though Publisher makes first instance upside down “” if entered as simple (shift-2), real curly quote (alt-shift-2) behaves normally, both same ways ””. Single quote behaves normally .

Windows kbd may differ.

There should be a routine to fix quotes when importing (wish).

Ah, yes, I see that I can just use Shift+2 as suggested.
I simply wasn't expecting that; my other DTP software - along with my text editor - just inserts straight quotes so I - stupidly - assumed that it would be the same here.

I still think it might be nice to have a sub-menu listing all of the different quotes the user might like to insert, including such things as low quotes and Guillemets (especially for non-English languages).

Anyway, another plus for Publisher.
Cheers.

P.S. Alt+Shift+2 on Windows seems to just select the text frame, but that's probably irrelevant for this discussion.

31 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I can enter them just normally. Though Publisher makes first instance upside down “” if entered as simple (shift-2), real curly quote (alt-shift-2) behaves normally, both same ways ””. Single quote behaves normally .

Windows kbd may differ.

There should be a routine to fix quotes when importing (wish).

In English, ‘both same ways’ is not normal. Opening quotes should have the tail at the top, like 6 or 66; closing quotes should have the tail at the bottom,  like 9 or 99. A typographic or ‘curly’ apostrophe is like a single closing quote.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)