You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pimp my context tool bar

The horizontal context tool bar is a great thing. However, it could be souped up a bit as there is much space left on the right side depending on screen size.

For example, I think there should always be editable information on coordinates. It is always needed: When I place a guide I want a live and realtime update of where I am exactly. When I select an element and check the fill mode or line width it would be convenient to check the coordinates (and the size and the rotation and -> the anchor point) right here, too.

It could even go beyond coordinates. Like when I activate a text box I could quickly alter the space between columns or the leading, all without entering modal boxes. When nothing is selected I could change the document size, the grid size and the document units. You name it.

Maybe this is information overkill to some people but then why not making it a switchable preference item?

Yeah, it doesn’t necessarily have to be as overblown as in InDesign.

But when I do serious work I have to be able to see all the time where exactly my elements are, their exact size (and to edit these values right there). It’s called context tool bar – so let’s put the most important fields according to a given context right here – and some generally needed information as well.

post-210-0-49791600-1408004970_thumb.png

I agree with both of you, it's a balance of how much is too much...  I would say though that in a pinch, relevance should win over design aesthetic.  

When you need a tool, a feature or an option you don't want to break your workflow by searching too much for what you need... (in other words you're not likely to appreciate the UI design if you can't find what you need when you need it)  :)

I guess it's a matter of prioritizing the relevance... and predicting the expectations of the user.  Hopefully the dev team are using the app as well to really see where and what may be missing or redundant.