You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Pages, Guides, Alignment, Right Click

Also, I'd like it to crash less. Maybe it's my laptop (2016 MacBook Pro 2.9 Ghz, i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB, HD Graphics 530 1536 MB), but this app crashes every 10 minutes or so. Also, it's great for little booklets, but it is so tedious for actual novels. You have to add in a new text box for each page, and it's not even precise, because the alignment doesn't work. I know it's a beta, but if this is how it releases, it will be a nightmare for perfectionists.

• Staff
11 hours ago, Parker S. Huntington said:

There's no right click option on Mac. The alignment doesn't work for when I'm making objects, like creating a black background, shown on the Master Pages tutorial. The guides also have some dotted and some straight lines--the dotted ones are sometimes beside the straight line and not where I put them on the Master page.

Hi Parker S. Huntington,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are using a trackpad there's currently an issue preventing the( ⌃(ctrl) + click work as a right-click. Setting the trackpad in the macOS preferences to use a secondary click will allow you to use it to perform a right-click using one of the option provided there.

Regarding alignment you must enable snapping for the alignment work. This is done clicking the magnet icon in the main toolbar. There's also an arrow immediately on the right of the magnet button to access the Snapping Manager where you have fine grained control over its behaviour.

The dotted guides are the ones set up on the master pages. The straight ones are specific to each spread/page.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Parker S. Huntington said:

I would also love the ability to insert a picture as a background for the entire page without having to do a frame before that step, since the alignment feature doesn't work. Even if the alignment feature worked, this would still be nice.

The ability to make a picture black and white would help.

Click the Place Image Tool, select the image you want to use as a background from the dialog that will open then click and drag from the top left corner of the spread page to the bottom right corner. There's no need to use a picture frame if you don't want to.

To make the image black and white, make sure the image is selected, click the Adjustments icon on the bottom of the Layers panel (the half-painted circle) and select Black and White from the list of adjustments. Adjust the slider in the adjustment dialog to fine tune the conversion.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Parker S. Huntington said:

Copy and paste would be amazing, too!! They don't have that function for Macs--unless they do if there's a mouse. But I don't use a mouse. I use a trackpad. Deleting text boxes would be amazing, too.

Can you be more specific please? Are you copy/pasting from another app? You don't need a mouse for this. Check my reply regarding how to configure the right-click when you are using a trackpad (above in my first reply).

To delete a text box/frame (or any other object), select it on canvas and press the delete key on your keyboard.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.