You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to release compound shapes?

Hey guys,

As the title says can’t figure it out. Have some SVG’s with icon packs and can’t release compound shapes like in AI. And making marque selections with the node tool also seems impossible. Have to select and each individual point which is a pain.

Cheers,

Vlad

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

No you didn’t get me :)

I have another SVG with all the icons. Even saved it as an AD file.

My issue is that some of the icons are compound shapes(AI name). Example would be a filled circle with a hole in a cross shape. In AI you can release that object in it’s component parts which would be the filled circle + cross shape(just one example could be even 4-5 shapes) . Even the node tool AI version called the direct selection tool when you press Alt selects all the nodes of only the individual component shape(circle or the cross in this case). So in AD now things are very troublesome. You can either select all the nodes present with Cmd + A which is not what I need or just select all the needed points manually which is a pain in the a** :) . There is no marque select in the node tool like in the DS tool in AI, which makes things even worse.

I sometimes take pieces of existing icons to make new ones when needed. Currently what is piece of cake in AI is a nightmare in AD.

Does that make any sense?

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

• Staff

Sorry @00Ghz, I assumed you were trying to edit an embedded SVG file with a icon pack to use in your current document. Somehow missed the title of the thread :( My bad

Regarding your questions:

To release a compound object, select it and go to Layer ▹ Release Compound.

Currently it's not possible to select nodes from a compound shape directly. You must select and edit the individual items separately. I agree this is something we could improve upon.

Sorry @00Ghz, I assumed you were trying to edit an embedded SVG file with a icon pack to use in your current document. Somehow missed the title of the thread :( My bad

Regarding your questions:

To release a compound object, select it and go to Layer ▹ Release Compound.

Currently it's not possible to select nodes from a compound shape directly. You must select and edit the individual items separately. I agree this is something we could improve upon.

Except that it doesn’t work. :(

The option is disabled.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

• Staff

Hi 00Ghz,

Thanks for the file. There's no compound objects in your .afdesign file (recognised as such in AD). Affinity Designer is importing them as flattened shapes. You can still "break" the elements going to the menu Layer ▹ Geometry ▹ Divide, but it's not exatly the same thing.

If they were originally saved in the SVG as compound objects, i'm sure we are able to import them as such, but currently it's not possible/implemented.

It would be interesting if you could also post the original SVG with a small sample of the icons (you can delete the rest) so we can take a look at it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Yes divide I've just tried it in Illustrator by releasing the compound path and got the same result as I did in AD.

so I'm not sure what you want to achieve.

Hi JevoUK,

It depends on the shape. For example, in your post #12 you used an icon composed by two flat shapes and in that case it works if you use Divide. But if instead of a "filled" circle you had an outlined one (an expanded stroke), the Divide operation will break it in two circles, instead of keeping it as a "line". Check the file below:

icon.afdesign

- Select the compound shape, copy it and convert it to curves. Check the result.

- Then do another copy of the original, and go to menu Layer ▹ Geometry ▹ Divide. Check the result.

As you can see the Divide operation breaks the original geometry in its basic elements, while converting it to paths from a compound shape keep the "original" geometry intact.