You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

photo organizing software

2 hours ago, tilltheendofeternity said:

At the moment I am using ON1 (they also do the buy it / own it model, rather than the Adobe buy it / We own you model).

One that integrates with Affinity would be a damn sight better as far as I am concerned.

A damn DAM..... !

[  Runnnnnssss very fast .....  ]

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Like pzdan writes, a software replacing Adobe Ligthroom is high on the list. Now we have Photo and Publisher. With a LR replacement we could say "good bye" to Adobe for good.

I'm currently using LR 6.14, the last release outside Adobe Cash Cow. I would NEVER think of acccepting the prescription alternative, instead I will evaluate Alien Skin Exposure X4 when it arrives, but I would preffer an alternative within tha Affinity family.

I certainly think that photo organization software would take precedent over Ipad software as far as volume is concerned. How many users of mobile photoshop users are there compared to lightroom users? Seems as though you guys chose the wrong app to create. Hope you will now get on board so many of us can kiss Adobe goodbye.

Thanks,

A former Adobe dealer and former Adobe user who is still stuck with lightroom's old version.

Lightroom replacement?  Just a guess of how many persons use lightroom. I picked this up from a lightroom forum.

I'd love to know that too. (how many lightroom users)  The 4.0 beta was downloaded more than 300,000 times. Some of those users could have downloaded multiple times, but a lot of Lightroom users never download beta versions.

• 2 months later...

The problem with alternative DAM software is the inability to render thumbnails of .afphoto files! NOBODY  but Affinity does this I've tried various programs and, for me, not being able to see a thumbnail of my many files is a deal-breaker, period. In addition to this very basic problem, I don't need a program on the LR model. I just want a simple DAM program since Affinity Photo does everything else.

Others here have suggested Alien Skin Exposure X4 & ON1. Alien Skin does not list (on it's website) Afphoto as a file type recognized. I downloaded & installed ON1 freebie and  it can't even "see" a Afphoto file.

Wait! Wait! OK... Forget I said a thing... I just discovered Affinity's Media Browser...

Edited by HarryBH
Finally discovered a feature which solves my concern.

1 hour ago, HarryBH said:

The problem with alternative DAM software is the inability to render thumbnails of .afphoto files! NOBODY  but Affinity does this I've tried various programs and, for me, not being able to see a thumbnail of my many files is a deal-breaker, period.

Assuming that you have told Affinity to "Save thumbnails with document" in Preferences, General, then there are several applications that will display them. XnViewMP, for example.

Also, on Windows there are codecs available that will display the thumbnails in Windows File Explorer (and the file-related dialogs based on Explorer).

1 hour ago, HarryBH said:

Wait! Wait! OK... Forget I said a thing... I just discovered Affinity's Media Browser...

I think I've seen references to the Media Browser having been removed in the 1.7 beta versions of the Affinity programs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just checked my Preferences & I have save thumbnails checked but no programs , other than AP's Media Browser will show them. I just down loaded XnViewMP, it only displays the AP logo not a thumbnail. I use an iMac... if it matters.

Thought I'd upload a screenshot that proves XnViewMP can read both .afphoto and .afdesign. As mentioned double clicking on the thumbnail opens another screen that shows a larger than thumbnail size image but much less than the full file size (by measurement when zoomed). As far as I'm concerned XnViewMP will do just fine until Serif release their own DAM. I have no idea if XnViewMP will be able to read .afpub files—it can't as yet. 

Affinity Files Screen Shot.jpg